Albatross A series Fuel Filler

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Jaguar

Albatross A series Fuel Filler

Post by Jaguar »

I need to sort out a fuel filler cap for my A series. I know most boats seem to use 'monza' style caps but I'm just wondering if mine may have had something different fitted. There is 2" o/d x 1 5/8" i/d tube fitted to the underside of the rear deck by means of 'turning over' a thin wall section over onto the top deck. Also, there has never been ski rope rail fitted to the hull, suggesting that either know skied behind it with a monza cap fitted or it had a lower, almost flush fitting cap. There are no other fixing holes around the filler tube or on it, so any cap must have been a push fit only. Has anyone else got this tube arrangement and if so has your hull got a cap other than the monza?http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... iller2.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... iller1.jpg

johnd733
CMBA Member: 743

Re: Albatross A series Fuel Filler

Post by johnd733 »

Jaguar, the cap on my boat is almost flush-about 1/8 thick and 2 1/2 inches across .It is stepped down to sit inside the tube.There is a small crank hung inside with a long spring that goes down into the tank with a spring T piece to lock it into the tank. This allows you to pull up the cap to fill, with the cap staying captive.It does not foul the tow rope in this form.If you need a picture I will try and do this. Regards John d

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Hi john, a picture would be great thanks. Is your hull an A series? - if its problem loading the picture you can email it to me at sunbird4@tiscali.co.uk
many thanks Tim

Tim

Post by Tim »

Dear Jaguar,
By chance I have just had to take the fuel tank out of my Mk. 3 Albatross No 419, and have the filler cap on my desk. As Johnd said it is 2 1/4" O.D., with the top rim, which sits on the deck 1/8" thick, and a spigot 3/8" deep protruding into the deck filler pipe, with a petrol proof rubber gasket. There is a further spigot 5/8" diameter, and 3/8" long, with a5/16" slot to take the "L" link.

The important piece is, what I call the "L" link hinged into the bottom spigot of the cap, which has a discrete notch in the boosom of the "L", which hooks onto the slightly raised end of the filler pipe, which stands above the surface of the deck.

In my boat the bottom end of the spring is hooked into a hole in the edge of the filler pipe on the tank. and did likewise through a hole in the bottom of the "L" link. I say did, because the spring, which is of only 1/16" dia. wire, has twice worn through the end of the "L" link, so the last time it came out and was welded up, I drilled an 1/8"hole in the aluminium, and fitted a stainless steel shackle, onto which the spring is hooked.

If you would kike a photograph, I will send it to your e-mail address, as it will be higher resolution, than the website can handle. I hope that this of some help.I will try to contact you by e=mail.
Yours,
Tim.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Hi Tim, any more photo's would be appreciated..

many thanks

Tim (Jaguar)

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Hi Tim, any more photo's would be appreciated..

many thanks

Tim (Jaguar)

Tim

Post by Tim »

Dear Jaguar,
I will try to send two photographs of my filler cap, If I can make this work.
I regret that they are not as sharp as I would lkke, but it was rather close to the camera.
Sorry they are too big!! I will have to have a word with someone, and come back
Yours,
Tim

Tim

Post by Tim »

Dear Jaguar,
Ny pictures wer too big, so I e-mailed thm to you at Tiscali. Did you get them?

Yours,
Tim.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Hi Tim, Just looked at them thanks.. another small project now on the go!

thanks again Tim

Tim

Post by Tim »

As a follow up to the Filler Capsaga, it is held down by a spring, which hooks into the shackle in the photograph, and ahole in the top of the filler pipe on the fuel tank. mine has broken in two places, so I have had to replace it, with one I found via Google, from a company called Associated Springs, part of the Barnes Group INC. The part number is T41910 as an "Extension Spring in Stainless Steel.

I hope this will save someone some time. It should go into the Albatross archive.

Tim.