Glastron Carlson CV 19 SS (1974)

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Re: Glastron Carlson CV 19 SS (1974)

Post by broompisces »

I know what you mean about using nice shiny screws to fill the holes - unfortunately, some of the holes are the size of 50 pence pieces! I've had a go at chrome blanking plates for taps on sinks, but it doesn't look right.

I'd be obliged for the details of the paint supplier in the US if you can contact the chap that bought your boat.

My paint is the "apricot" one - like a metallic bronze. See the snap below for an idea of the colour.
Attachments
cv 19 gel.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sent you a PM, hope it helps..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

JetDriver
CMBA Member: 0

Post by JetDriver »

Any updates on this beauty?
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

It's been a while...
I'm now getting ready to start the refurbishment in earnest.
I need to get the boat re-painted in the metal-flake paint (an old english white for the hull).
Does anyone know of a yard that has experience with painting using metal-flake? I've been on many USA websites / forums and they seem to follow very complex (to me!) processes when using metal-flake. Also, they have different opinions about preparation etc.
I'll travel within the UK to get the right job done.
Many thanks,
ian.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I've sprayed Metal flake, back in the 70s when it was in fashion, never had a problem , use a under cup gun, put some ball bearings in it to keep the flakes in suspension, use a large nozzle, any good paint sprayer should be able to get there head round it , there's no difference in the prep, with some flake colours , it is recommended that a base colour is put down first, a lot of the darker gold, blue and green colours went over a black base colour, the lighter gold, silvers, reds went over light grey or white. the secret is to use a top quality clear lacquer .

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

I agree with the above,

I have also sprayed Metalflake "back in the day" and the base coat colour and gun needle / tip size are key to it all.
If the gun set up is too small the nozzle (paint tip) will clog all the time, also the base colour should be pretty close to the flake colour.

In my inexperience as a lad I once sprayed a beach buggy with blue flake over a purple base coat which looked OK but you could definitely see it through the flake.

Also be prepared for how much laquer it will take to cover it properly (hint,- it's a lot) so you'll probably need to lacquer over the white as well to avoid a raised edge once the tape is removed.

Any decent sprayer should be able to do it.

p

De Novo
CMBA Member: 974

Post by De Novo »

I wondered how your Glastron project was coming along. I have just brought a Glastron SSV - 153 project, 1978 and I am pretty sure, built here in the U.K. by Roger Clark Marine. It is white with Metalflake silver stripes and gives me the same headache; gelcoat repair or respray. My Metalflake sections are the original 'moulded in' method, so I will try to leave it original. Are yours moulded in or sprayed on? I will decide on my method once the 'breakdown' of the boat has been completed. I had a Kawasaki KH400 motorbike sprayed in black Metalflake when I was a teenager. To get the same depth of gloss on our boats as original it would take many coats if lacquer over the paint. Remember also there were, in the 70s, two sizes of Metalflake - 'Medium' and 'Extra Brilliant' available in all the colours, so we would need to know which type we need. I have the original Metalflake paint colour sample card somewhere, and is on my job list as something to find.
g3.jpg

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

After a few false starts over the past ten years (!!!), I have started the restoration of my Glastron in earnest. In the past, I had stripped some bits off it and sourced a lot of new engine parts and had a lot of machining done on the engine and stripped the jet drive, but everything has literally been in bits in boxes for a decade or so. The boat was sitting in a field beside a barn, which afforded it protection. I trailed it back to my house today and discovered (very quickly), that all four tyres were severely perished and split. The first port of call therefore, was a tyre depot. More pics to follow as I progress...
Attachments
IMG_2119 copy.jpg

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Ten years of rain water had filled the petrol tank; my boat cover got ripped right where the tank filler cap should be (but I'd removed it years ago!) and water had been dripping into the fuel tank.
I couldn't shift the tank, given the weight, and with no hose pipe to hand to suck the water out, two holes drilled in the bottom corner did the trick...
A new tank was always on the cards, so no problem with this tank being full of rusty gunge and having two holes in it!
Attachments
IMG_2135 copy.jpg
IMG_2146 copy.jpg

Glastron Jetboat

Post by Glastron Jetboat »

Hi There!
I have the exact same boat except its from 1973 and blue/white!
I am undergoing the same total restoration process... Engine is rebuilt (completely) and I have made a complete overhaul of the Berkley jet. Its now time for the hull to get new stringers, floor, mounts, electrics, interior, etc.

Had it for quite some years without moving fwd but now is the time to take a couple of steps. I would need a soulmate to drift ideas, pains, motivation issues and share some happy moments too.

Would be great to share our progress!

BR
Mags