Water temp ??

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Water temp ??

Post by kwoffa »

Hi Chaps...
i am running a 100e engine,i have not changed anything regarding the cooling system however it does take a while to get warm,
i have raw water coming into the engine via a normal seacock i have no thermostat,i had a great run out on `monday and the temp went to about 1/4 up...if that is usual then great if it isnt then give me a shout and some help please.

kgarla
CMBA Member: 143

Re: Water temp ??

Post by kgarla »

Hi Again, both the 100e Albatross boats in the family are sealed systems, raw water simply cools the oil in the sump. Both these sealed systems have thermostats, and do get quite hot on occasions. I had a V6 Delta with full raw water cooling and a thermostat and that never got really hot however hard you ran her. Hope that helps Cheers Kgarla

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

At last a reply ! cheers...
I have water in and water out.. no aditional tanks etc... just in and out....i had a good run Saturday pm and the guage rose slightly...as nothing has been changed...i guess its normal for a fenn and wood... 100e...cheers anyway...Mel.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

On raw water systems like you have, there is normally a steel disc with a hole in it fitted where the thermostat was to raise the temperature a bit. As for size of the hole in the disc you will have to get a few made with different sized holes in them & it will be a matter of trying them to see which gives the best results. I don't know what sizes to suggest however as I have never had to do this myself.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Thats a great idea..and one that has been tested ??? or not? i do not have a thermostat fitted so i guess a slight restriction would work...