Puzzler - Toby 13

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Puzzler - Toby 13

Post by Pete54 »

Around 1964/5 my father raced speedboats in Ireland. He started off with a Toby 15 and then a Toby 13 Sportsman. His engine ended up being a tuned McCulloch of 75hp plus. The last boat I remember him racing was a Tremlett - of around 14ft.

Anyhow I have now become the heir to the family photos, so I got them scanned. In amongst them were these two. Definitely the 75 hp engine, but I have no recollection of this sort of deck layout. So over to you guys, I do not recall these surroundings so I wonder if these photos were taken outside the Toby works? It is possible he had some tie up with Toby for a period, but I'm not sure. FWIW my father was Glyn Morris and a little after the racing period he ran a boatyard in Dun Laoghaire.

I would welcome any information to fill in the gaps!
Attachments
Toby 13 ??
Toby 13 ??
Toby 13?
Toby 13?

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Puzzler - Toby 13

Post by Tremlett 15 »

When and where did your dad race the Tremlett in Ireland ?

I will look thro my old 60s powerboat rules books and if and ref to your dad.
Last edited by Tremlett 15 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Early Tremletts in photo below
Attachments
IMG_0031.jpg

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Had a look thro the 1968 handbook Irish Powerboat Association, did not find anything.... :oops:

Have a list someplace of Tremlett boats raced in the 60s, will need to look it out/find it..... :hmmm:

:wot:

:drink:

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Post by Pete54 »

The last year he raced would have been 64, possibly 65. Mostly with the Toby 13, I cannot remember a meeting with the Tremlett being raced, so possibly it was sold as he started the boatyard. I've some pictures of racing on the Liffey in I think 63, my father in the Toby 15 and a variety of mainly Microplus'. I recall him saying that you had to slow down to make sure you got under the bridges! I'll pull a few together and post them. At that time all of the speedboats were launched at Broad Meadows, operating on the inland side of the railway, launching from Seapoint, where the bases of the jetty they built are still there.