Looking forward to the Ivy Lake run

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Looking forward to the Ivy Lake run

Post by Alacrity »

Another good day out at Ivy Lake, the weather (apart from a brief shower early afternoon) was sunny & reasonably warm. The strong breeze didn't effect the water enough to bother us - but it was a bit bumpy for the small Jinx's. I believe 12 boats were there, I was sans boat due to unresolved mechanical issues with the Stapely so thank you to those of you who took me out or let me take your boat for a run - very brave given boats normally loaned to me break! :oops:

We do however, have a cloud hanging over the event. The Ski Club have concerns about the low turn out at recent events as they have expenses to meet that are not covered if we have less than 15 boats - so this is a classic case of use it or loose it. It would be a great shame to loose it in my opinion so lets see if we can do better at the March season opener.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

???????? Riva Bertram????
Yesterday's Riva discussion: I was being ragged yesterday about how I 'could' pull the wool over the eyes of the unitiated, with made up boat names... hence the Riva Bertram Bahia Mar 20 (is a favourite).

p.s the Rudy IS longer than a Junior... :oops:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Ahhh, I wasn't party to that conversation!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Yesterday's Riva discussion: I was being ragged yesterday about how I 'could' pull the wool over the eyes of the unitiated, with made up boat names... hence the Riva Bertram Bahia Mar 20 (is a favourite).
It's when he started blabbing on about the Satsuma castanett powered by a Hokey kokey 2000 that he realised his cover was blown. :D

A big thanks to all those that came along and supported the event especially those that pitched in to help launch and recover. Particularly good to see new members and boats too.

As Alacrity mentioned the Ski club have to cover their costs if they can't do that and make it worth their while we will lose the venue which would be a great shame as lakes of this size and quality are hard to find.

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

Great to hear that those that attended had a great time, sorry I couldn't be there again. This working malarky doesn't half get in the way.

I have to agree that the comment 'use it or loose' is harsh but true. Take Carr Mill for example, a great piece of water with lots of room and located just of the M6 so easy to get to. Nobody came and now there isn't an event there. Please don't let it happen to Ivy Lake too.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Don't laugh at the 'RIVA BERTRAM' - I pulled a couple of V8's from a storm wrecked Riva Bertram 25 Sports Fisherman in Kuwait in 1976, so there was definitely an association between the two companies way back when!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Give me a Great or Rift Valley Lake and I'd like a Bahia as a get me home from the pub boat ...but not on a salt water mooring, guess a standard mid-60s Bertram 20 would suffice.

Was thinking about Ivy Lake numbers last night - there will always be times of the year that are too cold/wet for our membership, so it won't be the last time we get less than 15 boats.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

grant

Post by grant »

Hello you lot :notworthy:
It was really lovely to see you all again yesterday :woo: , we have missed your company and it was great to catch up, work and otherthings have got in our way over the last year or so, but as you obviously noticed I am starting to Younger everyday :D
We shall catch up with you again soon and I presume that any sneeky pics that may have been taken of me WILL NOt be passed onto "Hello" magazine for profit :x
See you again soon ;) :thumbsup:
Grant and Family :)
XX

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

After reading the possibility of loosing Ivy Lake use, providing I can get this dreaded Moonfleet project completed, I will be more than happy to drag it all the way from South Wales for it's maiden voyage to Chichester in March just to keep the numbers up in order to keep the event "buoyant" (excuse the pun :hilarious: ) lets hope it does not end as it's been previously mentioned venues like this are getting scarce and hard to find :grrr:

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Thanks floater for organising the day, we all had a great time and not just in my boat (cheers guys :thumbsup: )
I'll be putting the boat away now for the winter but she'll be back out in march, as others have said it would be a shame to loose this event so I'll see you there and hopefully it won't be for the last time.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild