Kill Switches - Inboard Engines

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Kill Switches - Inboard Engines

Post by Dakota »

Any recommendations of what type to buy for an inboard engine boat ?

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Kill Switches - Inboard Engines

Post by solitaire »

Daren - in a previous life I was an RYA scrutineer for all classes offshore > 10 years - I remember almost everyone used the outboard type kill switches Incuding us with the big Chev that now sits in Smokey Jo (and the big "class 1" 2000hp classes) - "BUT" in those days competitors aways used proprietary Mercury or Yamaha switches - as with all things these days I guess there are probably cheap Chinese ones available - but I woudn't trust my life on one
Just for info - the RYA rules stipulate kill switches must be attached to all riding in the boat and spare lanyards and switch covers easily accessible to enable the engine to be restarted so the crew can return and pick up the overboard member (who of course, has the lanyard and switch cover attatched to his life jacket)

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Some of them make a connection to kill the engine and some brake the connection the one I used gave the option to do both so I wired it to brake the power supply going to the distributor when the cord is pulled.

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Just a warning............
I hope a few people take onboard the RYA ruling for having a spare Lanyard at hand - quite a few times I heve seen the driver expelled while the passenger/navigator has remained on board - even with the engine killed a boat will travel quite a distance at 30/50mph so the person left on board does need to get the engine started to come and get you, - and with wet hands those kill switch buttons are near impossibe to hold out...........

and just to highlight how easily it happens..........we were following a 28ft Hunton production class racing cruiser (about 60mph) we watched it hook and all three on board were instantly chucked out like rag dolls (the driver bent the s/s helm in half as he tried to hold on!) It took about a second to happen!! - all three were very stunned and shocked but ok and we returned then to their boat (Hell Angels - Lady A's old racer) -getting 3 big guys - in wet clothing and full life jackets over the side of a boat with 3ft freeboard is no easy task either, luckily they could stand on out trim tabs and scramble over the transom

p.s we continued and won that race.........

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Sorry - I forgot to add - make sure if you have an electric fuel pump - (Holley or similar) the kill cord cuts the power to the pump as well as the ignition...........

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...