Hayling Island Rally - 10th & 11th

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Hayling Island Rally - 10th & 11th

Post by Rapier »

If you haven't been on this one, is a cracking 2 days on the water with all the usual suspects and great dinner tomorrow night...HISC is very very hospitable and has great sea / estuary views from it's verandhas, to enjoy a G&T from. Sadly Tango and owner are out of action for this year's event :cry:

Here's a vid of last year's trip from the clubhouse to the pub for lunch

And another slow section through the harbour in 2009

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Hayling Island Rally - 10th & 11th

Post by Alacrity »

We can expect wall to wall sunshine with a force 3-4 winds BUT they are from the north east so that means the sea outside the harbour should be flat :woo: :woo:
See: BBC weather :wot: :drink:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Cracking couple of days, sunshine turned up in abundance but the sea was a bit more lumpy than expected, petrolhead's shakey touched down all of four times on the way across Hayling seafront. I am still getting used to my Mustang and have made a few changes which is my excuse for being a wus ;)

Thanks to Columbus for organising and Se7en and Phil for donning the rubber fun outfits and wrestling the boats onto the trailers in testing conditions. :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sounds just like the kind of lumpy seas Tango eats for breakfast. Anyone got pics of the event???
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

It was an absolutely fabulous 2 days of fun - with the odd drama thrown in the mix! Great weather, albeit a little breezier than was ideal but we were OK, the Shakespeare's & 2 Stapely's reveling in it. There were some casualties unfortunately but all in all great fun & company.

Thanks to the boys in rubber - Floater HAD to don his gear & sweat in it for a while even though the other two were coping fine, he just can't resist it - who made a difficult recovery easy & dry for the drivers and thanks to Ivan for putting it all on for us. Most of all thanks to everyone for the great company.

An eventful return journey, horrendous traffic queues around Arundel & Worthing & a blown tyre at 60mph on the dual carriageway into Worthing, see page 2 of this thread as a lesson.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

I also thank Columbus for the event again, the day I wagged off was FAB :woo: and indeed the little Shaky "firefly" did perform quite well in a lumpy sea that seemed to suit it........we did turn back to see where you all were but the head on wind soon soaked us even more so we carried on to the langstone marker. shame nobody could keep up with us to get pictures of it :giggle: but my passenger has pics of all of you I think...will get them posted.

I do have bruises to prove we had fun and sadly the painful sinus infection did not blow away in the wind as hoped :hilarious: and I ended up seeing the quack yesterday to be dished out pills :(

any ideas on my curious outboard misbehavior would be much appreciated...I really thought the carb strip has sorted it because last test in Chi lake perfect and was good for 3 hours at hayling before playing up....I tied it in to a pontoon, started it again and was fine!

cowsail
CMBA Member: 52

Post by cowsail »

ADD MY THANKS TO IVAN AND ALL HIS FRIENDS AND STAFF AT THE SAILIG CLUB. THE ONLY PICS I TOOK WERE OF US AT LUNCH AT THE CHICHESTER YACHT CLUB AND THANKS TO DAVID RAGGETT FOR ARRANGING THAT FOR US.
IF ANYONE NEEDS A TEMPORY "BUNG" I HAVE A SUPPLY OF HOME- BREW CORKS THAT SEEM TO DO THE JOB!
IF ITS ANY CONSOLATION GEOFF THE TRAFFIC WAS JUST AS BAD TO THE WEST BUT I WASNT PLAGUED WITH YOUR PROBLEMS.

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Thanks Ivan for all your efforts with this happy event. Also thanks to the rubber crew for getting boats back on trailers. :perfect:

It was an interesting day (I only managed Wednesday) to say the least. Thanks Geoff for the promise of flat calm waters in the bay. All I can say is I spent most of the day going flat out in boiling water, rather like committing GBH on your own bits and pieces. :wild:

The day was great fun and I am still alive and the boat still floats so another success in the sun for CMBA :heat:

Sorry for Ivan missing out on all the bruises while helping with boating casualties most of the day. Well done, here's hoping day two went better for you. :thumbsup:

Regards

Al :help:

neilgreenfield
CMBA Member: 0

Post by neilgreenfield »

Hi
I went to the Hayling event... and really enjoyed thrashing around in the sea, many thanks to Russell Marlow, in his Shakespeare, called Firefly.
When i could i took some pictures and a couple of movies.. i have posted them on the CMBA facebook page, in an album.
Neil