A trailer warning for everyone!

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

A trailer warning for everyone!

Post by water_buoy »

I towed the boat to Lechlade today for a nice evening trip up the Thames followed by a pub dinner ... However when I went to back the boat up to the slipway I could hear a knocking noise, I thought "ah the jockey wheel must have dropped a bit and it's catching the ground" oh no, I got out the car to find this :o ...
image.jpg
Another few miles up the road and there could have been serious trouble so I was lucky really!
So I just thought I'd prompt a few others to check your trailer bearings if you haven't yet this year, this trailer was new about 18 months ago so I wasn't too worried about it but thinking back I have done a lot of miles (obviously a few too many) and not checked it well enough.
My boat will now be sleeping under the stars until I can fix it instead of her normal cozy workshop :grrr:

ooh and no evening river trip either :(
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Re: A trailer warning for everyone!

Post by Classic fever »

Only 18 months old - wow, quite scary

Have you used it in salt water?

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Yeah I thought that wasn't long but I have used it in salt water several times plus I reakon I've done about 3000 miles with it since new. Does that sound about right or was this a case of a faulty bearing perhaps? I thought it odd as I haven't even been through a set of tyres yet :hmmm:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Most people grease them every time its put in the water......... I have always found grease to be a little better at lubrication than water........!! :oops:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Very scary, did the bearing cage collapse? 3k miles is a lot. Most of my saltwater ones get swapped out once a year and I use only Renolit Aqua grease - after a similar mishap in the motorway services en route to Bedfordshire and a horror story of David K's involving a wheel coming off while overtaking a lorry.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

se7en wrote:Most people grease them every time its put in the water......... I have always found grease to be a little better at lubrication than water........!! :oops:
Ah that will do it then ... Only greased it twice since I've had it :? Another lesson learned with a lucky escape!

I presume the cage has collapsed as there is a pile of swarf and flat sided roller bearings now in the hub, inner bearing seems to still be intact and just the outer one that's gone.

I think I will be swapping them once a year from now on :shock:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Am not a fan of those bearings, but save money and just clean and grease them on a regular basis. Wait for the hubs to 'cool' before you dip them and a lot here grease them both before and after immersion. A kind gentleman on this site showed me how to set them up initially, but I have to say I do lose track with 3-4 trailers and often do mammoth round trip drives like Falmouth that new bearings and hubs just give me extra peace of mind when I am on the road for 14 hours.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sea-Jay
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Sea-Jay »

Good grief!! it must have been a good pub lunch, the trailer's upside down!

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Sea-Jay wrote:Good grief!! it must have been a good pub lunch, the trailer's upside down!
When I saw the wheel there was only one thing to do :drink: :drink: :drink:

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

60 odd quid saw me two new hubs today complete with new bearings and all is sorted :chuffed: they are both packed with marine grade hub grease now!
I'm pretty sure this was just in experience on my part, they were well under greased :grrr: on removing the second hub (which was also slopping around) I found some pretty dry looking grease clumps mixed with plenty of water.
I'll definitely be taking better care of them from now on