Simmonds

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Simmonds

Post by Simonp »

I have had the Simmonds for nearly 15 years now and feel it is about time I collected some original sales, maintenance and boat test material. Mine was produced in the early 60s and so would be grateful for any leads or if anyone has any material available for sale............

Over the years several members have been kind enough to copy items but would now like to find some original material.

In anticipation?!

Simon Pickford
Birmingham
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Simmonds

Post by Rapier »

Hi Simon, you sure yours is the early 60s? It looks like a mid-late 50s hull to me. Yours is the same as Mirak's which I always thought was about '56 or '57 - they are the only 2 with the upturned bow and ski rail on the stern that I've seen and I think predate Dave H's 'Lady Jane' is an early 60s and is a completely different style. The pic is Mirak's with 80s decor...
Attachments
Picture 952.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Well - my guess is that the Daimler engine was fitted from new at the Jaguar works in Browns Lane and that would have been 1961/62 - which is why I date it as that period. I have never been able to find a boat number on the bulkhead.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

eastcoast
CMBA Member: 0

Post by eastcoast »

I have a later type which I date 1961 on as it's stamped 532 on bulkhead (I'm guessing it's no32) ? Maybe a Huwood boat?
How many did Donald make before selling The business?

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Whereabouts on the bulkhead should the number be? Can't find mine - maybe it got chopped about when the engine was fitted.

SimonP

eastcoast
CMBA Member: 0

Post by eastcoast »

Mine is more or less behind where the driver sits. There is also a number on the oval plate (inside) covering the front compartment.

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Thanks - I will check closely .

Simon