Finally coughed up the membership money

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

pspeed
CMBA Member: 0

Finally coughed up the membership money

Post by pspeed »

Hello All,

Been Stalking these forums for a few years now so thought it only fair to cough up some cash for membership, I have two ongoing projects, an anchorage 17 sportsman with VP AQ 115 inboard and an outboard plywood boat which i'm fairly confident is the ultra rare '56 Healey Ski-Master, the hull is good but the deck has been done badly, both have been on hold for quite a while as I work as vessel management on an offshore windfarm (contract nearly ended so might get something done) I used to have a Broom Javelin about 12 years ago and was a member of the Broom club but never got to any meetings.
Engines-
I have a rough old 1970 Evinrude 40 E/S which came with the Healey, plus a nice 1962 Merc 65 and the cleanest 1970 red band s/s Merc 20hp you have ever seen, it cannot have done more than a couple of hours work and is like brand new. (I want it in the house on display but the wife won't wear it )
We also have a Rinker 212 Festiva cuddy for general family use in the summer (might sell it if anyone wants one)

Now I've bored you all to death I'll get back to stalking.

Cheers for now

P

PS I live in Falmouth so handy for the rally if I'm ever home.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Finally coughed up the membership money

Post by Rapier »

Hi pspeed, good to have you around, stalking or not. Sounds like a nice collection - we've got a couple of members who've either had or have the Ski-master, sometimes the Aquacraft Attacker is mistaken for them. Mostly they are in terribly poor shape and beyond recovery. There's a guy local to me that has a Sportsman, the one with the whiny I/O. Found this in a mag recently. Falmouth is my favourite rally, so hopefully we'll all get to meet next year.
Attachments
img232 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Hi Rapier

Thanks for the welcome and posting the Anchorage ad, (I've never seen one before), I'm pretty sure the Healey is genuine, although i've seen photos of the attacker and they are pretty similar (same designer and factory I believe) but, it has some little clues like the bow handle is the same as the Healey one and the brass (probably chromed once) ski tow points on the transom, are the same, but photos are a bit scarce apart from the red and white one in the US that is all over the internet also the photos from the book with Donald Healey and Stirling Moss in the Bahamas.
Do you know of any other resources?

Regds

Phil

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Hi and welcome , I've some photos somewhere of a wreck that turned up at Southampton some years back and there' s a Skimaster (we think) being slowly restored nr Chichester, hull is done and in top coat, deck to do. There seems to be 2 different internal frame set ups. 1 boat had a lot of ribs almost like a clinker row boat the other has fabricated frames similar to the construction of the Healey 55 and the timber hulled 75 I've seen. Be great to see an internal photo of your hull.
Growing up is optional...

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Hi Healey75,

Unfortunately I'm away working at the minute, so can't get a photo of my boat but it is exactly the same inside as the attached image of the American boat, It even has the same "tray" in the bottom which has done well to survive so long.
The hull is in great shape but the last owner put a new deck on and didn't do a very good job, so the boat is currently upside down at home awaiting the paint being stripped off and a re-fastening, I have pulled a few screws and they seem quite good but i'll do it anyway, I thought about epoxying it as well, any thoughts?
Then I'll flip it over and re-do the deck.

Thought I would post a pic of my Merc 20 whilst I was attaching files, It's all original and almost unmarked, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet I just like looking at it .
Attachments
IMG_0879sm.jpg
1956_Healey_Ski_MASTER_ffad5edc724d3132a09b_20.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thought Healey 75 would pop up. PM me with your email if you want a full size version of the Anchorage ad - haven't got round to cropping it yet. Lovely Merc 200, am always torn between using and admiring..the decals look so fresh - I think it's worthy of the sitting room :lol:. My 'modern' 200 is a very clean one owner blue band from 1975 which went into the workshop to be converted to electric start about 6 years ago and is yet to re-emerge after the original bearing carrier got chucked :cry:. Moral of the story, don't mess about trying to 'fully' convert these and don't let projects sit. A couple of us have the red band 400 from 70/71 too, lovely motors, but their reputation proceeds them, so am always slightly wary about using it.
Attachments
Picture 567 (Large).jpg

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Hi Rapier,

Some nice engines you've got there, when I was a little kid in the late 60's a family friend took me out for a spin in his boat and I remember it clearly, it was a Broom Viking with a red band Merc on it and it's stuck in my mind ever since, that's probably where the obsession came from.
Gotta love an old Merc.

PS have PM'd you ref the Anchorage ad.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sent it, but got a postmaster failure..email me on the same provider as yours, but classicboat.

This is the 400 wound up...

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Love it, looked like a lovely day that, don't remember any of those recently :(

email sent, Thank you.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Th at photo of interior of the Skimaster looks to be like the one being restored nr Chichester, I'll try to get some photos in due course. Can't find any pics of the other one I saw.
Growing up is optional...