DS2 Utility, History

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

DS2 Utility, History

Post by solitaire »

Please do any members know this boat - it's history - reported to have it's original race number - 11ft 8 long
I think if you click on the image it will expand
P1000730.JPG
P1000731.JPG
P1000732.JPG
Cheers - Andre
Last edited by solitaire on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

solitaire

Re: Sports Utility DS2 (Don Shead???) Help

Post by solitaire »

- I had some usefull feedback from Rod C. who has been in the boat with a methanol burning Evinrude Speedtwin C racer- (many thanks Rod), and uncovered another lead
-re. Don Shead (could be DS2) - this :- from an old "nautical quaterly" aticle on the net
- "the teenage Shead had graduated to powerboats and joined the Midlands Hydroplane Club at Bodymore Heath, here he raced a 9' shingle powered by a 350-cc Anzani outboard, progressing to a 350-cc Konig engined Swift hydroplane, It was later that he broke the Class B HJydroplane rewccord on Coniston water in 1958" - could it be, Don Shead raced/designed this boat?

Anyone out there with either Don Shead conections or old enough to remember racing at Bodimor in the late 50's early 60's??

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Sports Utility DS2 (Don Shead???) Help

Post by Tremlett 15 »

try a post on Boatmad forum............

as Rod C says, the 1958 Don Shead Swift/Konig record was 54.83mph, O 350cc/OB 251cc/350cc

:wot:

:drink:

Sea-Jay
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Sports Utility DS2 - Help

Post by Sea-Jay »

Slightly off topic, but I was drinking champagne with Don Shead's daughter in Cowes Yacht Haven a couple of months back!!

solitaire

DS2 - Utilty - the Story so Far

Post by solitaire »

OK – The Don Shead connection was a “Red Herring or Bum Steer” – ButI am pleased to announce that the CMBA Utility fleet has just increased by 25%
For those interested here is all I know about the Utility racer - DS2
It is believed to be a genuine early 1950’s X class racing boat
A CMBA member purchased her at a sale in Cheshire approximately - 1992/93
The boat had been modified and had a cutaway deck, a prop shaft was fitted the member was told it had been fitted with a Ford side valve inboard engine and used as a motorboat
The outboard clamp marks were still on the transom
The shaft was removed and hull made good, the deck was replaced with a new ply one reminiscent of the X class racing boats, she was varnished and painted very nicely
The boat was advertised in a very early CMBA magazine and purchased by Sebastion Stapleton from Bloxham nr Banbury – It was placed in a dry barn and rested on her transom where she has remained until now (Sept 2012)
*Please *! If any members have a copy of the early CMBA magazines – (pre glossy and pre 2003) I would really appreciate a copy of the original advertisement, we think it a half page – and, I am told, has a bit more history of the boat and possibly the name of the previous driver on Oulton Broad
Dimensions
LOA – 11ft 1ins, Max Beam – 4ft 4ins, Transom – 16ins, Transom angle (I think) - 9/10 deg
Has no skeg or fin!!
The No’s , - “DS2” She was given the DS2 designation using genuine 1950’s race decals (Gold with a black outline) – as a tribute to “Donald Leighton Simmonds” , (Simmonds boats – propellers etc) and because DLS was and X class racer in the early 50’s
My plans – (don’t laugh)
a) to rig and run her with Colliwobble’s lovely old 200/250 white Mercury
b) to eventually restore and run her with a 1943 Evinrude Quad that I have located and would have been a typical and period engine that originally ran post war, in “X Class”
Most of the members know my background is offshore, so at age 63 and with tin hips this may seem a crazy move to buy and try to run an old kneel and prey racer – but sure as hell it’s better than day time television!!!
I welcome any members advice, help, thoughts and suggestions, plus I will be looking to source parts manuals etc for the quad
Pic’ s below are as I got her home after a bit of a trailer nightmare when the stub axle and transfer leaf spring decided to part company (amazing repair with wooden splint, string and gaffer tape got me the last 10 miles with plod pulling me over!)
Port.JPG
Aft.JPG
Inside.JPG
Transom.JPG
Nose.JPG
Deck.JPG

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Re: DS2 X Class? Utility, History

Post by bigminiandy »

Love it. Very cool.

what motor have your got for it?
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

I knew there was too much text!! - initially Steve's/Nick's (ex colliwobble) lovely merc 200/250 - then, - when I'm brave enough an Evinrude Quad (of the period and I think, in keeping with what may have been on her)

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Sorry. How silly. manganged to skip that bit some how. Read the rest tho!!!!!!! :grrr:

Will be great to see on the water.

Will you do a write up for the CMBA magzine so all members and not just forum users can see it. Pretty Please!!!

When and where will be your first outing?

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

I will keep a log and try and put all of the history together - I agree It could make a make an interesting page or two in the mag, - but on a different, subject - what is the Anzani Unitwin intended for? - will let you know if I see anything.

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Seriously would be great to have a few words and photos for the mag - a true barn find.

I'm half way though buying a 1950s 10ft Plenderleith Hydroplane from one of our members and can't quite afford the 344cc Anzani 30hp(ish) Race motor to go with it so have started a savings pot. In the mean time im looking for something 15 to 20hp. Would like an Anzani unitwin as its of the period and would to be honest just like one for the sake of having one but if that doesn't work out will settle for a 20hp Merc for now to get he boat back out on the water after being stored for 10 years or so.
Last edited by bigminiandy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.