Trailing boats with heavy outboards

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Trailing boats with heavy outboards

Post by solitaire »

Any advice on the best way to seccure large outboards for trailing?
I have never liked the idea of putting a heavy engine (in-line 6 Mariner) in the fully tilted position and bouncing it along the road (plus it sticks out about a meter beyond the transom), - or risking a "grounding" if left to far down.
In the past I have trimmed the engine enough to clear the road by 10 inches or so and put a wooden block beteen the saddle and trim rams - Is this good or bad practice?

When we had the Flipper with twin Yam's they were so high up the transom it was never a problem, - (so perhaps I need to raise the Mariner on the Glastron by a couple of inches, fit a surface running prop and get a big rooster!)

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Trailing boats with heavy outboards

Post by se7en »

On Jade, we put a second tilt pin in the last trim hole, drop the motor down on that, that gives us enough clearance, would that work on your outfit ?
Attachments
10420_278993865153_707655153_9425124_3658653_n.jpg
10420_278993860153_707655153_9425123_1800531_n.jpg

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Thanks se7en I will take a look - Jade looks lovely - (nice transom jack) and a lot of polishing on the lower unit - what pitch prop were you turning ? - would my prop rated 90 Mariner be similar hp to Jades 850?

se7en

Post by se7en »

Jade has 19" pitch prop, your 90 will have more Torque, but the XS revs higher and is lighter, I wouldn't think theres much between them, the XS is most likely a little better on fuel.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

I use a thing called a Transom Saver from the USA, the extra tilt pin Se7ern uses is great except I've some slack in the ram pivots so the engine can still bounce about a bit. The transom saver is basically a prop that goes between the gearcase and the back roller on the trailer, then I use a small ratchet strap to hold the engine in tight and take up the slack...bad description but a good bit of kit for me!
Growing up is optional...

se7en

Post by se7en »

We also put a strap on to take any 'bounce' out, see photo.
Attachments
10420_278993845153_707655153_9425121_3030626_n.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Healey75 wrote:I use a thing called a Transom Saver from the USA, the extra tilt pin Se7ern uses is great except I've some slack in the ram pivots so the engine can still bounce about a bit. The transom saver is basically a prop that goes between the gearcase and the back roller on the trailer, then I use a small ratchet strap to hold the engine in tight and take up the slack...bad description but a good bit of kit for me!
Have similar, reminded me to fit it, but worry if by some chance the boat slipped back and it dropped out of the roller - mine is called 'moto flex motor support bracket' worthwhile looking on ebay..is up to 150hp. Same as on ebay Aus...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-Moto ... 43b244bf9c
Attachments
Picture (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I my opinion these transom savers are the way to go, albeit it will usually need some work to fit one to our trailers here in the UK. These transfer a lot of the shock loads directly to the trailer making the transom loading significantly less in my opinion. Securing the motor down tight to its clamping bracket is the next best thing but you still have all the loads being taken by the transom as she bounces her way to the water. With our roads the way they are these days they seem a better idea than a few years back!

I know it can be argued the transom is designed for these loads but with our boats getting a bit long in the tooth anything that relieves stress in that area can only be a good thing. Some have a spring in them which further helps.

Have I got one though? No. Well not fitted anyway . . . :oops: :oops:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Thanks - everyone - I have some 30mm box section and will try to copy your pictures and fabricate a "Transon Saver" during the week

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Will bring mine to Cardiff, if you want to hang fire and take the dimensions..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...