Trailing boats with heavy outboards

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Healey75

Re: Trailing boats with heavy outboards

Post by Healey75 »

Rapier wrote:Will bring mine to Cardiff, if you want to hang fire and take the dimensions..
I'll have mine there as well..on Healey Sprite 'Mimi'
Growing up is optional...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I fabricated one for my Yarecraft when I bought my little honda 5hp motor for it, the owners manual for the motor stated it was essential that the motor was supported between the trailer and gearcase. I used 19mm gas pipe and a bit of angle I have also made a spacer block for it to suit the Evinrude Big Twin too. I have since made one for my Waverider using 25mm handy tube with a rubber vee snubber block at the motor end and a bracket that attaches to the box spine of the rear of the trailer secured with a pip pin. I have a steel rod through about 150mm from the grarcase and wrap a bungee tightly around the gearcase to the rod to hold them together. It will be at Cardiff too look forward to seeing you and your boat there too.
Last edited by floater on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

This is mine. I can't see how the bottom end can fit on the rear roller when the boat is sitting on it though. :?: Modification to the trans saver required I feel as I don't really want to start drilling into my galvanised trailer causing rust issues.
Attachments
IMG_1096[1].JPG
IMG_1097[1].JPG
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Alacrity wrote:This is mine. I can't see how the bottom end can fit on the rear roller when the boat is sitting on it though. :?: Modification to the trans saver required I feel as I don't really want to start drilling into my galvanised trailer causing rust issues.

This is my set up, I had the same problem with the trailer end...got over it by adding an extra keel roller (using U bolts) behind the the one taking the boats weight.
Attachments
Transom saver.JPG
Growing up is optional...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

As we're sharing photos this is my MIG it yourself version:-
Attachments
prop stay.jpg

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Guy's - Many thanks for all of the replies and pictures, I'll take a look at the different models at Cardiff (A pint for the best presented!) - so far Floaters "mig DIY" does it for me as I have a welder and most parts - including the rubber snubber laying around the garage somewhere!

p.s. - for me this is when the forum works so well - thanks again - Sinbad

jeepster
CMBA Member: 0

Post by jeepster »

Rapier wrote:
Healey75 wrote:I use a thing called a Transom Saver from the USA, the extra tilt pin Se7ern uses is great except I've some slack in the ram pivots so the engine can still bounce about a bit. The transom saver is basically a prop that goes between the gearcase and the back roller on the trailer, then I use a small ratchet strap to hold the engine in tight and take up the slack...bad description but a good bit of kit for me!
Have similar, reminded me to fit it, but worry if by some chance the boat slipped back and it dropped out of the roller - mine is called 'moto flex motor support bracket' worthwhile looking on ebay..is up to 150hp. Same as on ebay Aus...

Interesting propeller! Who makes it?