Names for your boats

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

happyguts
CMBA Member: 919

Names for your boats

Post by happyguts »

Howstar wrote:i think you need a name for the boat 2003 is year been and gone
With reference to howsters post above what names are you peeps calling your boats
Mine is - Vie Privée - a homage to Bridget Bardot who had ( no evidence yet ) a albatross and known fact about my 2010 is that it went from the factory in 1962 by train to the rivera , was t-boned and sent back again .... Bridget Bardot was living in the Rivera at that time and stared in a film called Vie Privée in 1962. she split from her husband about this time as well ( probably for t-boning her new albatross ) .. So until I hear a better argument that it is without doubt hers ...it's hers ( maybe ) .......did I say I run on sometimes :D

Anymore names and reasons
Last edited by happyguts on Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
id rather be a pretend somebody than a real nobody
`The River Rats Speedboat Club`
" you say shame on me ...I say shame on you "

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Names for your boats

Post by sean-nós »

Mine is call SEAN-NÓS it's an irish saying meaning "Old style" as in sean-nós dancing or singing it's also named in memory of my Dad Sean as the build was great therapy for me after his death, It's all his fault that I am the way I am today :wot: :drink: :wot: :drink: :giggle:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Tremlett 15.............says it all :hilarious:

our cruiser is called Pas Vite the clue ins in the name..... :giggle:

:wot:

:drink:

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

Scandal is named after below, a Lord astor was mix up in Profumo scandal . He owned a Moonfleet silver shadow aqualia with sunbeam alpine engine , I not sure if it the same boat . but it only one I know running today.

Sometimes the boat is jinx and is an unlucky boat, and sometimes lucky So it could be ghost boat and the story all be true.

Scandal and I will tell you her story.

I was born at the Moonfleet Factory in Cardiff in 1961 I had Sunbeam Alpine engine fitted to me a fast engine at he time, My parents told me I could go as fast as 55 mph but I don’t like going that fast. But in the sea I can get up to 45 mph, fresh water about 35mph’
She had a twin sister that was owned by Lord Astor or it could be her, no one could tell them apart,
As I you can tell I , she like getting up to mischief
Well one Scandal was just sitting there one day and Lord Astor had some friends one was called John Profumo and Mr Ward, Christina Keela plus another girl called Rice Davies .They all got a bit cheeky one day and had rides in boat just like here. They all got on so very friendly with each other, well Mr Performa was an MP and he knew lots of important secrets. One of the girls also got very friendly with Russian spy. This upset the British government at the time and was a bit of Scandal in 1963 and the Prime Minster Harold Macmillan had to resign due to ill health. Mr Ward killed himself, Lord Astor died few years latter left over 800 million pounds in today’s money and Profumo set up a charity and raise money for vulnerable homeless people

She was sold on few times and really hit rock bottom .she was very sad and ill I given a few hours to live and was then put on the scrap heap ready to be crushed, it was Scandal leaving her there.
But lucky enough a man and woman came along ,
The man wanted that boat , but lady said ”if you buy this boat I will going to dump you.”
This made man say “ I am not been black mailed I going to buy this boat and dump you.”
Well this man bought I and did quite a bit work on me.
Got me up running again. But Scandal did not thank him but I manage to sink him a few times, and then got him to regrets dumping his girl friend .
Then another man came a long and really painted me up top and bottom gave me new seats spent a lot of time and money on her . And she did not thank him as well , She trap his fingers in the bonnet door and nearly sank him .
Then came a newspaper reporter came told him that Lord Astor had boat just like her or one of her twin sister in the early sixties and I it could be be scandal.He printed a story in a Lake District newspaper about it
She starting to look a bit tied again now.
I am sure i will fix my her bumps and scratches up again, i have has spent hundreds of hours on me getting her up and running well.
I starting calling me XL5 because she look like somthing out of thunder birds , but I was told him about newspaper reporter and he then started to call Scandal because of such unusual history .

You will be able to see scandal on many of are rallies and are boat mag

So come and bring you boat and join the club,

Scandal is feeling tired now but she might to come out before winter sets in then have big sleep through the winter and see you in the spring

Boat called scandal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZoFPWQfXns&feature=plcp

2 more videos of loch awe my mate took these are better video of all the boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw7aabrR2ic&feature=plcp

http://youtu.be/dZoFPWQfXns

Last edited by Howstar on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Green Goddess for an avocado coloured Broom Saturn. Miss Daisy as in 'driving', for a Pearly Miss. Tango for a Birchwood Thunderski..it's very controlled and smooth like the Tango (but it was also once orange and called Tango..). DIXIE as in Southern US, specifically TX, where the Lone Star boats were initially built. Love Potion the most recent, because if you're nuts enough to restore and own a specific brand of classic boat twice (Pearly Miss) you'd have to be drinking some of the stuff....
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

happyguts

Post by happyguts »

Tremlett 15 wrote:Tremlett 15.............says it all :hilarious:

our cruiser is called Pas Vite the clue ins in the name..... :giggle:

:wot:

:drink:
How about - Trop rapide for your tremlett15

happyguts

Post by happyguts »

" Scandal and SEAN-NÓS " - like stuff with a lot of thought

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Woodwych »

First boat was called Woodwych. A Percy Blandfod designed cruiser made of ply the design was called Woodwych and she was already named.You can still buy the plans and build one in your garage.
Woodwych 1.jpg
Second was a Fyne Boats rowing skiff with an electric trolling motor. Good for mini trips on the canal, That got called Woodwych too.
Woodwych 2.jpg
Third and current project will have to be a Woodwych as well!
ww3.jpg

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

All the boats i've owned have been 'something' Lady so we have a little bit of a theme when naming boats.

My Parents boat is called 'Celtic Lady' - she's a Norsman 33 that was fitted out up in Scotland in 1968.

Our National 12 Sailing dinghy is call 'Windy Lady' - obviously because she's powered by the wind, sounds a bit rude and childish too.

Our Delta V6 is called 'Almost a Lady' - she looks pretty like a lady but once you start her and you hear those straight through pipes you know she a bit of a b***h!!!!!

Our Fenn and Wood Mk1 was named by Puddleduck (Chairman Chris) before we had her. When he got her as a restoration project she had no name but after speaking to another CMBA member found that their farther had a F&W a long time before and that boat was called 'Jezebel'. This boat had long been lost and because F&W boats dont have serial numbers you can't really trace them. It was thought that my boat could well have been Jezebel but because there was uncertainty she was called a 'Shameless Lady' instead. - That's what I've been told any way.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

bigminiandy wrote:All the boats i've owned have been 'something' Lady so we have a little bit of a theme when naming boats.

My Parents boat is called 'Celtic Lady' - she's a Norsman 33 that was fitted out up in Scotland in 1968.

Our National 12 Sailing dinghy is call 'Windy Lady' - obviously because she's powered by the wind, sounds a bit rude and childish too.

Our Delta V6 is called 'Almost a Lady' - she looks pretty like a lady but once you start her and you hear those straight through pipes you know she a bit of a b***h!!!!!
Our 26' Viking is called Funny Lady but the Alpines don't have names - yet. So far, they're just 2003 and 2002. How boring!
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!