Boat hull restoration advise needed

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

seymourperry
CMBA Member: 0

Boat hull restoration advise needed

Post by seymourperry »

I’m currently in the process of restoring a Tremlett 19. Having stripped the old deck and deck beams out I noticed the bow tank (now removed) must of sprung a leak at some stage and the plywood inner core in the bow was rotten as hell.

As you’ll see from the pictures I’ve started to strip back the rotten wood leaving most of the bow now right down to the fiberglass hull and there is about 10cm at the top of the hull which is also rotten through water ingress probably due to not being properly covered up by previous owners.

In addition the stem from the keel line to the front of the bow is rotten and needs to be replaced.

My question is, in order to get back some of the rigidity of the original plywood inner core and tops of the hull what is the best way to re-line it, is it as simple as cutting some replacement marine ply sections and then fix them on to sound boards and the exposed fiberglass hull or is there a stronger method I should use to integrate the new inner to the existing and dry ply?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Attachments
P1010947.JPG