Bank Holiday Blast.

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Bank Holiday Blast.

Post by bigminiandy »

Who managed to escape over the weekend and grab a few hours of freedom out on the water then?

I was pretty lucky I managed to have Sunday, Monday and most of Tuesday on the River Seven with my parents.

My mom finally managed to get some pictures of 'Shameless' in action.
13042009936.jpg
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Bank Holiday Blast.

Post by Howstar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsPnzIwb ... annel_page
I got few videos on youtube of over the weakend , just about ironing out few problems but great fun :wot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_j00FY ... annel_page

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

Sadly the only 'Blast' my boat witnessed this weekend was me having a good old swear at myself when I discovered that I'd left the new timing belt on the bench (some 50 miles away) and couldn't finish its engine job........ :grrr:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I am very envious of those of you that got afloat over the long weekend :mrgreen: , I would love to have done the same but time & weather was against me I'm afraid :cry: I would have had to use the salty stuff but it was flat as a millpond which would have been fun - very frustrating living in a marina but having to travel 70 odd miles to launch the boat to avoid paying £65.00 for the 100 tonne hoist to launch my little 16 footer. :evil: :evil: :grrr:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

paying £65.00 for the 100 tonne hoist to launch my little 16 footer.
Thats scary :shock: Is it just me or do others on here feel totally ripped off by these charges?

I'd reccommend the good old Norfolk Broads for some cheap boating..... seriously, this is not another of my meaningless tongue firmly in cheek posts for a change!

Last year I bought a 'Short Visit License' for the Delta which cost me about £35 for 14 days cruising. That was under £3 a day.

Launching at Oulton Broad using the public slipway costs nothing - I'll say that again, nothing. Its free. Its cheaper to let us use it for free than pay someone to manage and administer it.

Car parking, and theres plenty of space for the trailer, is about £3 a day.

Two miles up river is Burgh St Peter. Mooring and a decent meal can be had. Six miles up is Someyleyton etc etc - you get the idea.

Speed freaks can make Breydon Water from Oulton Broad in two hours and then let loose as their mood takes them. Alternatively launch at St Olaves (£10 last year) and Breydon is just a couple of miles away.

Just a thought

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

I'd recommend the good old Norfolk Broads for some cheap boating . . .
Sounds great - but the Broads are four hours drive from me, so as a holiday that’s fine but not for a day or two out :( I can drive to Southampton where I can launch for free, park the car & trailer for £4.00, then have a day on the water with lots to see (albeit not scenery as such) & do with plenty of watering holes &, if you go the right way, no speed limits. Plus if it is flat there is the Isle of Wight only a very very short hop away. I can get there & back for less that Sovereign Harbour would charge me to launch & recover - but it does take a little longer. :lol: A big plus is I can usually team up with a few fellow CMBA anoraks which is always a comfort with an old boat/motor. 8-)
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

When on the river seven/avon i always launch at the public slip way in Tewkesbury, which again is free!!!

Then a two day licence for the avon is £10 and a severn licence is £6.28 for the day. They both admittedly have speed limits but aslong as your curtious to other boat owners the lock keepers don't say anything.

When staying over night i stay in the company of my parents on their 1968 Norsman 'Celtic Lady'. Great fun plus a boat bunk and moms homecooked food is far more comfortable than the floor in a tent.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Out for a short time on Lough Erne ( N I ) in the cruiser where boating is still free :D , as are the other inland lakes & rivers :)
so you all should take your holidays over here, only the ferry cost to pay :o :o :o , but you can have days & days & days of boating, also very few speed limit zones :D :wot: AND it NEVER rains here!!!!!!!! :hmmm: :lol: :oops:

Just can wait for the replies.............. :mrgreen: :roll:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Thank you sooo much for your kind words Austin, you make me feel much better. :twisted: :twisted: I will now do my level best to get you wet at Cardiff (on the outside this time!) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Wish I could have got out for a blast (the slipway is 5mins away). I worry about being dead in the water, in the middle of the red jet route, so am reluctant to go on my own . Time to fit the 40+ on the back of Hum Bug...my range can then be extended to IOW. :lol:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...