Seaswirl the Venturer is back to life

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

stratfordrapier

Seaswirl the Venturer is back to life

Post by stratfordrapier »

Dear all

I have finally managed to get Seaswirl back up and running after the winter's tinkering. The timber is not perfect, i think i am going to replace the decking with inlaid timber next winter.

I have stripped all the metal work off and removed the years of paint and varnish that encased them, we have given her a few coats of varnish and stripped the red paint of the timber that sits inbetween the seats. I have also put a new steering system in the wheel is bothering me as i believe it is from a fiberglass boat (from same period). I am hoping to pick one up from the boat jumble at the Thames raditional boat ralley in Henley next month. Unfortunatly i missed the entry deadline so we shall not be floating but supping ale on the banks drooling.

She is no Broom, Healey or Fenn and Wood (quite like the idea of the one up for grabs on ebay at the moment), but for the £350 i paid for her (with trailer and engine) I can't complain.

Just got to do the bearings on her newly restored Snipe trailer then we can come and play.

Anyhow hope to maybe see some of you out and about. :wot:

Kind regards

Tim
Attachments
seaswirl1.jpg
Her new wheel
Her new wheel
Seaswirl stern.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Seaswirl the Venturer is back to life

Post by Rapier »

Nice one Tim, the steering wheel is a period Attwood accessory from post 1959, wood or fibreglass boats had them, as you could buy them off the shelf - they're very rare here as they have a habit of being left in the open and rusting like hell. Keep an eye out for the plastic cap on ebay us and you'll save yourself some money....Here's the post I had with big fin boats. CMBA will be at Henley...we're not allowed a water entry for anything but planked wool boats, but there'll be a CMBA marquee up, so find it and go and introduce yourself to whichever member is looking the most officious.

http://bigfinboats.com/forums/index.php ... #entry6349
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Great job she looks sweet :thumbsup:

stratfordrapier

Post by stratfordrapier »

And theres me thinking i had brought some random old steering whell off fleabay for £28.00 with the cable drum and mounting, that i was just going to have to put up with until i could find a nice wooden rim one instead.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.