Trailer side rollers or vinyl buffers for a wooden hull?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

stratfordrapier

Trailer side rollers or vinyl buffers for a wooden hull?

Post by stratfordrapier »

Dear all

I am in the process of restoring an old Snipe trailer to put a 1960's very thin ply hulled boat on too (13 ft plus a 9.9hp outboard).

Now my dillema is the current trailer (came with the boat and is very homemade) has side buffers (made from foam and covered in vinyl ) that support the hull towards the stern and i am considering using side rollers on the new restored trailer.

Has anyone got any experience of hull damage from side rollers?

Should i remake some side buffers?

Are the four round plastic rollers better than the single rubber rollers?

Many thanks in advance.

A confuddled stratfordrapier!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Trailer side rollers or vinyl buffers for a wooden hull?

Post by se7en »

I like long side bunks, they spread the load better, I have seen boat bottoms ruined by poor fitting trailers. just my opinion

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

se7en wrote:I like long side bunks, they spread the load better, I have seen boat bottoms ruined by poor fitting trailers. just my opinion

I would 2nd that............my trailers bunks are long & covered with good thick carpet.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Bunks my preference too, plenty of support needed. 60's trailers are rubbish. Have just removed my 14ft'er from it's orginal 60s 'Everyman' trailer with 2 hard rollers and a keel snubber. What a mess..indented ply and lack of support (60s trailers were designed for dinghies, so only support 1/2 to 2/3rds of the hull and rest hangs 2ins from the road) mean the splashwell, transom and hull needed work. Damn lucky there was no hook.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Bunks - long (4ft + x 4 - 6ins ish) pieces of wood covered in thick carpet are the only way to go with these old boats. The size depends on the hull & what you can fit on the trailer, but go as big as you can. Support is the byword here. Another no no is using ratchet straps & pulling them too tight to hold the boat to the trailer (personally I don't like to see them used but they are popular & fine if used with caution) manys the boat that has been damaged/holed that way - ask Rapier! If your trailer has a winch & permanent docking arms & fits correctly the boat cannot go anywhere anyway.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

Post by chriscraft »

Defo bunks, and dont winch on to trailer float on , cheers :drink:
that bloke up north !

stratfordrapier

Post by stratfordrapier »

Thanks to all of you i now know what to do.

Bunks it is!

Regards

Tim

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Agree on everything said ...use bunks, but I suggest that they finish just past the transom (ie stick out a bit) so the support at the back is taken up thro the transom as well. Try to position them apart (across the boat) so they are under a longitudinal stringer as well if you can.
Growing up is optional...