Is it a Classic? Marina 16

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

javi
CMBA Member: 0

Is it a Classic? Marina 16

Post by javi »

Hi Guys/Gals,

I've purchased a boat recently and dont know much about it. According to the seller, its a Marina 16 foot but I'm unsure of the manufacturer and year.

I've looked for a HIN but there doesnt appear to be one. Does this make it pre 1972?
The Outboard is a Johnson Seahorse 50 or 55 HP. Dont think its the original either but again, I have no proof. I'll check the serial number of the Engine when I get a chance if that helps.

Can anybody shed some light on this vessel? I cant find much online about it.

I've also ordered a Pram Hood made with Sunbrella material costing approx £1000 but need a replacment screen first. Any reccomendations for the Surrey/South London area?

Sorry for all the questions in one go.

Regards,
Javi

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Is it a Classic? Marina 16

Post by Rapier »

Hi, looks very tidy and usable. These were very popular little cruisers...I think they also had a stern drive Mercruiser version, tho must have been expensive. They were built (se7en can correct me..) from about 1964 on and competed with the Microplus 501/502 and the Shetland 535. Think there was also the Dolphin around at the same time. There are often period ads for them in Light Craft magazine. We have a few cruisers in the club, inlcuding a Shetand 570 and one or two period 60s 15/16ft jobs that appear on rallies in Scotland and the River Soar.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

jeepster
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Is it a Classic? Marina 16

Post by jeepster »

It certainly is a classic! The 16 GT was designed by Jeff Hemming and first built in 1962...58 years ago! I have one of the first off the production line and it's older than me. The 16 GT was actually used for group 4 offshore racing in the 1960's and this what is was originally designed for (Hence the "GT" in the name)...A modified racing version, with a flat fore deck, was named Penny Pride. She was first powered by twin Crescent Marin 50's and later by twin Crescent Marin 55's...The most powerful outboards Crescent made, until Electrolux took them over. This is why the splash well is so wide on the 16 GT (in case you wondered).
The later Marina M17 Cruiser was based on the 16 GT hull but the topside mounding was different. From the front the M17 looks just like a 16GT but from the side and back there are noticeable diiferences. The M17 has a narrower splash well, designed for a single outboard, with a GRP seat moulded in on either side of the splash well. To enable the seats to be wide enough for adults the M17 has no gunwhales aft of the bulkhead. The maximum outboard power for the M17 is 70hp, but the maximum for the 16 GT is 100hp. (unless extra bracing is used). You are welcome to join other Marina boat owners on the "Marina Boats Limited" group on facebook.
Here is a still of the racing version taken from a colour cine film of the offshore racing contestants preparing their boats for the Bristol Channel race, in 1964: Imagepennypride3 by Alf Beharie, on Flickr/