Inherited Speedboat

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Pastyman
CMBA Member: 0

Inherited Speedboat

Post by Pastyman »

Hi everyone,

I have recently been given a 12ft speed boat with no identification on it. Any ideas anyone??? I have trawled the net for weeks but nothing and getting a tad frustrated.
Cheers
Attachments
P8140579.JPG
P8140579.JPG (29.1 KiB) Viewed 8535 times
P8140576.JPG
P8140576.JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 8527 times
P8140575.JPG
P8140575.JPG (33.11 KiB) Viewed 8538 times
P8140574.JPG
P8140574.JPG (33.53 KiB) Viewed 8534 times

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Re: Inherited Speedboat

Post by Simonp »

Well it certainly has distinctive styling. If those wings were on a car - I would say you have something made between 1960 and 1965 and I have these on my Daimler car. Sorry I can't help on make of boat - does it have any clues at all?

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

According to Rapier, who is with me here in Falmouth, it is a Microplas, he may know the model but has retired for the night!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Post by Pete54 »

Definitely a Microplas - my father used to race against them! Go surprisingly well with 25hp but very flat bottomed so a hard ride at any speed. The best part is that your boat still has the orignal moulded seats. Even back then they were a bit prone to be damaged so lovely to see it still intact. From memory in 1964 they were considered a little 'old'. Certainly they were not competitive and were regarded as entry level boats.

There is some stuff on the net but information is pretty sketchy. My father was in the boat business and my impression is that they did not build boats for quite a period between this model - which probably was not built after '62-3 until the earliest of the outboard cruisers - which must have been late '60s at the earliest. It would be intersting to know morem - if anyone knows?

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Yes, its a Microplas, built in Croydon, Surrey, between about 1959-1963.

Pastyman

Post by Pastyman »

Hi Guys

I have emailed microplas many a time with no response, so still no idea of the model but nothing like her in their gallery. Thanks for all the posts but i feel that it is time for us to part. Would anyone be interested in her. I have Johnson and aisla craig to go with her ( not been turned over for a while)
and i have been told that these are now obsolete. Any sensible offer considered to fund a new project

Cheers for now

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

A pic from my archives..is ca. 1962, looks like an outboard dealer's test boat. That's an British Anzani Seasprite on the back...low-line 15hp which looks like it should have been at the bottom of a river even then :hilarious: BUT I think predates the OMC 9.5hp lowline, so no doubt ahead of it's time.

Always liked these very much, but they're an inland boat, with flat hull common to all around that era. Is a bit like a small Danvercraft in style. They're quite common as classics go, so must have been very popular.

Suggest you post an ad in the Boat Jumble area, with a guide price, am sure someone would be interested - also where you're based and whether that trailer is roadworthy...
Attachments
Microplas 1959-63 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Kim Lyne

Post by Kim Lyne »

Hi there,
I have just joined the CMBA website recently and came accross this very old post looking for information on an old boat.

I have a couple of these, one fully refurbished and another well under way.

It looks very similar to my Danvercraft from around
Windscreen Installed.jpg
the late 50's early 60's.
I have attached a few photos of my finished boat for you to see what a finished one looks like !!

I hope these are useful to you.
I am not a purist in refurbishment and have given the boat some more modern embellishments and a modern Suzuki which rens like the wind !
Anyway, if you need any more information I will do my best to help.

Kim.
Attachments
Completed 2.jpg
Completed 1.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

There are a few CMBA members with both the Danvercraft and Microplas - some pics below. Interesting to see yours as they are few and far between. I think they share the same hull; Se7en may be able to confirm.
Attachments
Copywright N.Dunn
Copywright N.Dunn
Copywright Allchorn Images
Copywright Allchorn Images
Danvercraft 1.jpg
Danvercraft 2.jpg
Danvercraft 3.jpg
eBay project
eBay project
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...