RYA PB Level 2 - Bristol Docks to the Bristol Channel

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

RobSar
CMBA Member: 854

RYA PB Level 2 - Bristol Docks to the Bristol Channel

Post by RobSar »

RYA Power Baot level 2
My two sons are at an age now where they would like to take my boats out on their own, so as with car driving lessons, I felt that they should (and it would be better for all) if they had some professional tuition.
Here is a brief overview and YouTube video of our two day Power Boat Level 2 course, run by the Bristol Maritime Academy.
The course began Sat 09:00 prompt in the Cumberland Basin in Bristol Maritime Training rooms, where the theory work was practiced and from there out onto Bristol’s historic floating harbour, from the moorings we motored in the Rib, to the centre of Bristol. On passing the SS Great Britain, we practiced manoeuvres and docking at the many pontoons and landings around the harbour.
Sunday was an earlier start, 08:00 due to the timing of the tides, for the coastal section of PB L2, we passed through the Cumberland Basin, lock out onto the River Avon, pass under the suspension bridge, then a quick 4-mile run down to the Bristol Channel. Putting our theory into practice with various manoeuvres, ie man overboard, spotting the marker buoys, sighting of waypoints around the coastline and anchoring proceedures. Returning back up the River Avon, using buoyage and transits markers. All within the allocated time out from Bristol Harbour, as instructed by the friendly lock keeper, as this is due to the 15mtrs (up to) range of tide in this area.
Overall, a great location and learning experience, from the static water of the docks, to 5 knot (plus) currents of the tidal water, combined with a friendly/helpful instructor, who was very well versed and qualified in their profession, making it a weekend to remember.

https://youtu.be/uCyzq8lmncE

https://bristolmaritime.co.uk
The word "Cinderella" has, by analogy, come to mean one whose attributes were unrecognized,
or one who unexpectedly achieves recognition or success after a period of obscurity and neglect.