Graham Loney

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

chris barker
CMBA Member: 12

Graham Loney

Post by chris barker »

It is with deep regret I have to advise you of the recent death of Graham Loney, the rally chairman and joint founder (in 1990) of the British Classic Motor Boat Rally. Graham became unwell in February and was found to have the advanced stages of cancer. He died this morning at 4.30am

Graham was into classic boats before most of us thought about it restoring ChrisCrafts with his then business partner, David Taylor, in th 1980s. Graham was the first person that most remember when they discovered the BCMBR. In many ways Graham was a founder of the CMBA in that early on at a BCMBR rally Graham spoke saying that a Classic Boat Club should be formed but he did not have the time to do it. Subsequently as we all know Keith & Merle Jarrett and Rod and Hazel Champkin took up the challenge and formed the CMBA

I have worked closely with Graham since 2002 on the BCMBR committee and have found him to be a most generous and kind man with a deep knowledge of classic boats and powerboat racing. He will be much missed. He leaves his wife, Susan and two boys, Chris and Alex.

He will be much missed.

Our thoughts are with him and his family.

Chris Barker
Secretary & Treasurer
British Classic Motor Boat Rally
Last edited by chris barker on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Graham Loney

Post by Rapier »

Am sorry to hear the sad news; my thoughts and condolences to his family.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

assegai
CMBA Member: 0

Post by assegai »

Very sorry to hear the sad news, he was a good bloke and will be sadly missed. Sonia and I send our sincere condolences to the family.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Nice guy, very sad.

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Thanks Chris for posting the details of Graham's premature demise, and for everyone's tributes. He was the first guy I met in the classic boat fraternity in 1989, and got my enthusiasm going. A sad loss.

I have been in touch with Graham's family and as soon as funeral details are known I will make an announcement for those interested to contact me and I will give the information in private. For obvious reasons we cannot post these on line.

We are discussing how best to commemorate Graham and will let members know in due course.

Chris H.

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

Post by chriscraft »

Very sad news , Graham was a national stalwart of classic boating ,he loved Windermere and Aix les bains,and always recognised the fine detail and effort that people put into their boats. He will be missed.
that bloke up north !

flybuyboat
CMBA Member: 154

Post by flybuyboat »

Very sad to hear the tragic news he really was a spot on all round nice Bloke, always with a warm and friendly face, great loss
Simon and Louise