new to the CMBA hello

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

evinrudelto
CMBA Member: 0

new to the CMBA hello

Post by evinrudelto »

HELLO FOLKS
ive recently joined the cmba as my hobby of collecting vintage outboards has steered me in this direction .
last year i joined the forum to test the waters as such to see if anyone had the same interests with amazing results with two notable member (chris and nick) who with their help steered me in the direction of finding some great motors to add to my new hobby. i was directed to a small collection of outboard motors and a lovely lady named hazel whom i purchased a number of her late husband engines .In conversation it was mentioned that she had an old boat for sale ,at this point i was not looking for a boat but when i recieved some pictures i immediately fell in love with it so a deal was done .
im sure some of you here are well familiar with this craft so i will start with sharing some pictures probably from the 80,s when it was first pulled from its resting place after being hung in the rafter of a barn in 1936 !!
i have some of the history for the boat but much is missing . i have refferences from 1928 racing at the welsh harp and 1936 sinking in felixstowe harbour ,so there is a big gap of missing history that need filling ,any help would be gratefully excepted .
my intentions is to put Ian II back on the water next year .
regards all
alan

IAN II 003 (Small).JPG
IAN II 005 (Small).JPG
IAN II 009 (Small).JPG
Ian II. (Small).JPG

GrahamT
CMBA Member: 1262

Re: new to the CMBA hello

Post by GrahamT »

Hello Alan,
Welcome aboard the CMBA. That's a fine looking vintage craft and a great barn find of a project. Though I'm no expert on the older engines I am a crafter in all things wood. Covid seems to have hit so many events lately but hopefully next year opportunities to meet up will arise.
Do please let us see more of the boat.
Kind Regards,
Graham

evinrudelto

Post by evinrudelto »

thank you graham T
this is how the hydroplane IAN II is looking now.
waiting to locate the correct motor a 1928 evinrude model u 16hp speeditwin .aiming for a june launch date at a very special venue which hopefully a can reveal soon .
IAN II 016 (Small).JPG
IAN II 009 (Small).JPG
IAN II 007 (Small).JPG
IAN II 006 (Small).JPG
IAN II 004 (Small).JPG
IAN II 003 (Small).JPG

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Hi Alan

Welcome to the club! That is a really interesting boat you have there and I can't wait to see it at a rally someday. I had an email from a Gentleman several months ago, he had a rare (one of only 12) 1929 racing outboard that he was looking to re-home on permanent loan to someone that could use it on a suitable boat.

It wasn't any use to me as my boat is inboard powered so I declined it but I feel it may be perfect for Ian II. If you like I can pass the enquiry in your direction?

Cheers
Dan
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

evinrudelto

Post by evinrudelto »

hello dan
thanks for the reply !!
i would be very interested with regards to this 1929 motor , im hoping to get IAN II back on the water hopefully as early as late spring next year .
at present i have not got a complete correct period motor together yet for the boat .
so it would be great if you can help out !

regards
alan