Winner boats????

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Drewby
CMBA Member: 0

Winner boats????

Post by Drewby »

Morning all, hoping someone can help me.
New to the world of boating and I have got myself what I have been told is a winner speedboat. I’m struggling to find out exactly what it is and wondering what the value is? I’m looking to get on the water and the engine provided with the boat (Johnson 40hp) needs a fair bit of work and parts due to various components being lost whilst in storage. Basically I’m wondering if the sale of the boat will be enough to cover me to purchase a boat and trailer ready to go?
Ideally I would like to keep her as I love the retro styling however finds are limited due to a significant drop in work at the moment (self employed mechanic and mot tester,government mot extension has left us with a minimal demand in the current and forthcoming months)
Thanks guys and gals,
Drew
Last edited by Drewby on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drewby

Re: Winner boats????

Post by Drewby »

Can’t seem to attach pics, am a bit of a tech dinosaur so if anyone can help please feel free 😂😂

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, the post pics function isn't working at the moment - our providers are looking into the issue.

You can send me pics at. I'll take a look and let you know. With your skills it's likely you can fix the Johnson and continue to maintain it on a budget. Parts are readily available, but demand low, so let me know what's missing and I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Drewby

Post by Drewby »

Thanks for the reply, have sent you some pictures across, the outboard needs throttle linkages, air box, prop, power head and carb gaskets,fuse/power box cover and potentially more! Am thinking as I intend the boat to be mainly for river cruising that a smaller engine would be acceptable?
Thanks

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Good looking example of a Cobra quite original and unmolested. The motor is a 40/50hp twin that OMC madein the late 80s, early 90s, so should be easy to find parts for, if you want to go down that route. Get in touch with Mike VIncent at South Coast Marine, or Hank at American Marine, or Outboard Spares Unlimited in Sussex(?), for spares. They're all helpful if you know what serial number / model it is. It may be that the rebuild is uneconomical with new parts, but there are people who offer used parts on ebay. And if it's too much for river use and electric start 15-20hp should be more than adequate.

There's a Cobra in the CMBA (called Flighty)..

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...