Views on modifications!

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Views on modifications!

Post by petrolhead »

Okay then, having had a chat with a couple of people I would be very interested to hear comments on this one. I have had thoughts both ways and I know mine. It is a point of discussion for any boat with a design flaw (or car!) modify or keep original.

The Shaky Mini Clubman I have is spotless, the base model, which though not as smart to look at (well inside at least) can at least be hosed down inside too, or filled with rain.

It is also as clean as could be wished for, lovely little boat.

It has a moulded floor with an upstand about 6 inches high running arround it which is quite flimsy. I being a tall git find on the drive at least it is very uncomfortable, I can not put my legs out or even under the dash sensibly. :cry: Shakespeare in their infinite wisdom made it suit the average man and no more, there is plenty of space for it to be longer under the bow and accomadate a giant.
If i find it unbearable when I trial her on the water I have two options.

1) Sell it.
2) Modify the upstand by removing it carefully in a way it can be reused and bonding a stronger preferably adjustable footrest which can be used properley.

Thoughts? some say dont modify such a good boat, I sway towards invisible improvements making it more useable being fair game, after all it is hidden under the bow.

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Views on modifications!

Post by BroomBroom »

Hmmm.. tough one! I sympathise.
I fall into the category of a 'longbody' - I'm a strapping 6 footer but... body long - legs short. I've always had huge problems when buying cars. There's been many cars in the past that I'd loved to have owned but I simply could not get the seat low enough - spent years driving company cars with my head wedged against the roof - no fun :( - that's why I always went for with one with a sunroof :lol: .

Oddly enough, this seems to work in my favour with boats, apart from the fact that everything above my (not insubstantial) gut sticks up above the top of the screen surround, leg room is not an issue.

As a muso, indulge me and I'll use a guitar simile... There are owners of precious/desirable/expensive guitars that will only take them out of the case in temperature controlled conditions and a dust free atmosphere - no finger may be laid upon them should it tarnish the strings or the sweat mar the lacquer. There are also those who play the things, enjoy them and have fun - one might say that a bit of 'personalisation' makes it yours and unique - ask those old guys like Eric, Jimi et al...

Personally, I would take the middle road and if you enjoy and cherish your 'lovely little boat', tweak it to suit, but with the proviso that it could be returned to the original configuration should that be the next owners desire.

Let us know when you make a decision!

Cheers,

Robin
Car - factory spec, Guitar - factory spec, Broom Saturn - my lovely little boat :wot:
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

BroomBroom wrote: - ask those old guys like Eric, Jimi et al...
Maybe, Robin, you could let us know just how to go about asking Jimi...?? 8-)

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

To return to the subject...my view on modifications is to avoid whenever possible doing anything to the boat (or whatever) which can't be undone at a later date.

So, drilling holes is kind of ruled out, but adding or replacing something within or on the boat is OK provided you can store the original and put it back if ever needed, that way the original design gets preserved for future owners - or rather, custodians.

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

well assuming we get on the water in Sotton on 16th, by the 17th there may or may not be a very very nice Mini Clubman Shakespeare for sale. At 6'4'' with my height in legs it just may prove too small for me.

Alternatively I could have my legs shortened :lol:

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

petrolhead wrote:well assuming we get on the water in Sotton on 16th, by the 17th there may or may not be a very very nice Mini Clubman Shakespeare for sale. At 6'4'' with my height in legs it just may prove too small for me.

Alternatively I could have my legs shortened :lol:
...and the answer is :?:

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

lets say it is snug...but acceptable! with feet pushed against the floor upstand I dont slide off the seat either! The boat is a superb ride for a tiddler and she did 28 knots on my gps (27.8 actually!) which on salt, with two kids and luggage plus not the best prop was pretty good.

Given I may have another toy coming soon something must go! not sure yet if it's this or bluebell. rooney will probably go but I will need to put her back together first :oops: