boating in the norfolk broards

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

boating in the norfolk broards

Post by Howstar »

I was thinking taking the broom onto the broads for a week going bed breakfast on the way with some mates and have looking around
can anyone recomend place start the curise and finish, and if any one wants to join in feel free, what the speed limit and liecence to buy etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NSDKXjCCk
Last edited by Howstar on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: boating in the norlfolk broards

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Howstar wrote:I was thinking taking the broom onto the broads for a week going bed breakfast on the way with some mates and have looking around
can anyone recomend place start the curise and finish, and if any one wants to join in feel free, what the speed limit and liecence to buy etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NSDKXjCCk

think the speed limit is 5mph all over,

slips see

http://www.norfolkbroads.com/water/info ... -launching

do you need BSC ??

come to Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, no speed limits, no charge, its all free :D

:wot:

:drink:

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Re: boating in the norlfolk broards

Post by 73miss »

Its all good. Southern Broads are very quiet and things (such as b+bs) are few and far between. Northern Broads (which I always consider to be from Gt Yarmouth upwards) are a bit prettier and have more to offer in terms of pubs, accommodation, shops etc.

Virtually everywhere is either 5 or 6mph although there are a few exceptions if you know where to look. To be honest though, the Broads is not about speed - its about forcing yourself not to speed. Slow down. Smell the flowers. Enjoy life in the bus lane!!!

OK - TBH we all need or want to go fast at times and there are about a dozen stretches of water that waterskiing can take place at certain times of the day. Technically you do need a skier dragging along behind you but I have, in the past, motored past one of the many Rangers (River Police) at high speed, with no skier attached and all I got was a cheery wave. It was quite late in the day, no-one else was about and I was on one of the "approved" stretches. Had I been screaming about weaving in and out of hire boats it may have been a different story!!! The Broad Authority Website tells you where these are and asking a Ranger or one of the harbour masters is always a good bet. I have, (a long time ago) been told "You must not speed in this area - now I am going in the other direction and wont be back for two hours - you promise you wont speed will you?"

You can get a short visit toll sticker from a number of places around the Broads. These come in 7,14 and 21 day versions. You are allowed a maximum of (I think) 28 days per year using these licenses. Just pitch up, pay your money and you get a sticker that covers you. DO NOT, under any circumstances, attach the sticker to your boat. They are incredibly sticky and will peel paint (and probably gelcoat) off when you remove them. Even the harbourmaster who issues them usually advises that you keep it in your pocket. Expect to be pulled over though if you are not displaying it. This can be a good thing as the Rangers are very nice people with an awful amount of local knowledge. They are more than happy to help you and can advise on some of the things that are a bit off the beaten track.
With a short visit toll you also dont need a BSS.
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boat ... s-a-m.html has a list of all slipways and mooring and also more info on tolls etc.
Also Google Norfolk Broads Forum. Locally run site with a wealth of info on what to see and do whilst up her.
Cheers
Andy

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: boating in the norfolk broards

Post by Howstar »

Thanks guys some usefull info on there,I give a few weeks and chew things over and see what what, but so far looks realy good

:wot: :wot: :wot: :wot: :drink: t take

Mariko 570
CMBA Member: 761

Re: boating in the norfolk broards

Post by Mariko 570 »

Hello Everyone.
If you are planning visiting the southern broads, may I recommend The Waveney River Centre at Burgh St. Peter. It's on the Waveney (oddly enough) between Beccles and Oulton Broad. They have a good slipway, excellent shop and camping facilities, and a nice pub. :drink:
Welshhealey and I enjoyed 3 days there last September with my Shetland 570. There was plenty of room on the slipway to launch her, and at best part of 20ft, she's not a bijou boat. :) The water there is still pretty tidal, but the quality of the mooring is very good.
There is also an excellent slipway at the Galleon Boatyard in Beccles, if you wish to launch a little further upstream.
Wherever you go boating, enjoy!
Hope to see some of you at Windermere and Cardiff Bay at the very least this year.

With very best regards,
Richard.
Mostly-restored 1974 Shetland 570 with 1994 Mariner 50 3-cyl 2-stroke o/b. Unrestored 1972 Shetland 535 Suntrip.