Huntress?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

LaDauphine

Huntress?

Post by LaDauphine »

Dear all,

This might be cabin-fever, but giving some thought to the purchase of a Fairey Huntress. It has always been a thought in the back of my mind and thinking about exploring some of the Scottish Isles in it once we are through all of this.

Any thoughts or comments on this? Am i mad?

Best wishes to all

LD

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Huntress?

Post by Rapier »

I think both Andy Wise and Chris Barker owned a Huntress, as does (I think) burgundyben on this forum. Our membership Secretaries might be able to help with their contact details..Might be worthwhile asking Scott (MIrak) if he can help put you onto any present owners. Sorry so vague, but not my forte.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

John Boggis
CMBA Member: 845

Post by John Boggis »

I, too, had a Huntress, many years ago.

Fine boat beloved of the Navy. The Navy ones have a big lifting eye on the foredeck.

Very wet, like the 28. You have to go up to a 31, Fantome, Spearfish to get the dry soft ride.

Bit cramped below but adequate for close friends.

Many will still have the perkins diesel. Mine had a mermaid Turbo 4 which was excellent. One had a pair of petrol jaguars.

Towable by a big 4x4 (Disco is fine).

Watch for delamination. The problem is rainwater penetrating at the deck/topside joint. For long term security epoxy sheathe the deck.

Scott will point you in the right direction.

JB

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Many thanks. Disappointed to hear they are wet boats.

I have seen photos of them being towed backwards, looks a strange arrangement.

Best wishes

LD