Broom Capricorn

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Broadsman
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Capricorn

Post by Broadsman »

Having grown up boating on the Norfolk Broads, I have long been a fan of John Broom's speedboats, in particular the Capricorn with it's elegant lines and 70s targa style wing. I've seen various examples come up over the years, in varying states of disrepair, and lately there is a particularly fine, totally restored example being sold in the Netherlands by Amsterdam Classic Boats. The only issue is the price - Euro 18,500 / £15,500, which is considerably more than any Capricorn I have ever seen advertised. Having said that, the boat is in absolutely tip top condition, so it may turn out to be money well spent vs a cheaper one that ends up costs as much over the long run. So my question to the experts on this forum who know much more than I do about boat values is whether a Capricorn can be worth this much money, and whether you could expect to recoup anything close to this on resale in the UK (not that I would have any plans to resell). Views very much appreciated!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Broom Capricorn

Post by Rapier »

I'd expect to pay no more than £6K for a very, very nice Capricorn and I doubt you'd recoup your money here. £15K will buy a lot of classics too.

This one could do with a professional polish and some fettling and the colour is not for everyone, but it's a nice unmolested original looking boat and with it's V8 power still. They come up from time to time in better condition and more attractive colours, so bide your time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broom-Caprico ... 1916393214
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

I've had a couple over the years, the aren't worth loads as it's a limited market (ie us lot) I think I sold the last one for about 3K and it was lovely with a 4 cyl Mercruiser.

The Brown one above was on eBay a few weeks ago at a much lower price, then was removed so I expect this seller got it for a good price, that said it looks like a real nice original thing, just needs a good polish or respray.

The white one is one of the last ones, they are fitted with the walk through screen and steps, which are nice additions and is also a better price, in fact you'd probably get it for less with a bit of haggling.

They are both worthy of consideration at the right price but 8K is far too much.

P

Broadsman

Post by Broadsman »

Thanks all - good advice. I'm going to check out the new white one on eBay and will report back.