Kelvin information

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Kelvin information

Post by petrolhead »

Our teeny racer is I believe a Kelvin Dart, basically a mini version of what was a kelvin Sorcerer. I also was told a chap called Bill Maloney may have been responsible for design but I have no evidence.

I wondered if anybody has a little more information about these boats? by all accounts the sorcerer's we great race boats and where this little one came from said I will be amazed how good it is in a chop...he used to play with one ion choppy estuary's in the day!

our little one is ready to test, I'm not sure the steering will not need fettling, being too direct/twitchy but we shall see :hmmm: It now sports an Evinrude sportwin 10HP.
Attachments
Kelvin Sorcerer
Kelvin Sorcerer
dart 8.jpg
Last edited by petrolhead on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant

Re: Kelvin information

Post by grant »

Wow , what a lovely looking little boat there Russ :thumbsup:
If my memnory serves me right>> Clives Dad had a Kelvin "Black Flash" (i think it's called) when Clive was a Nipper, had a lovely little add on at the bottom of the back where the bottom of transom meets bottom of the boat , not sure what that bit is called, tiny little boat it was like a yarecraft, so he may know more Russ ;)
Anyway your little Kelvin looks lovely :thumbsup:

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Thanks Grant, she does look really very pretty......especially with Eloise in it.............less so with me shoe horned in haha :hilarious: I wear it quite tightly.

I suspected Clive will be the likely source of a little more info.........it certainly looks like a mini sorcerer.

The jury regarding steering is out until tested. Some say it will be too twitchy, others feel it will be fine. I have wired it direct for now but could change it using extra pulleys but there is not much space!

I also have against some opinion left a spring on each side like Red Dwarf the yarecraft (and our Broom Viking) which has the same type of hub. Currently it has about 1.5 turns lock to lock on that teeny steering wheel and is not actually achieving full motor lock. I know a single spring should take out backlash but the motor leg is on nice wobbly rubbers anyway and the springs currently are helping tension the cable. I could remove them and adjust cables with the motor tilted up a bit then they tighten further as it is dropped as another option.

I tried a pulley on each stern corner but there was virtually no steering because it is so narrow.

try it and see now really :woo: taking tools to fiddle. If it need gearing differently on the cable I could hang the pulleys on the bar and take back to a fixed point on the boat.
Attachments
102_3421.JPG
102_3422.JPG

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

further pics
Attachments
102_3424.JPG
102_3375.JPG