hi i am adam and im new to this forum and help

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

watermint
CMBA Member: 0

hi i am adam and im new to this forum and help

Post by watermint »

hi i am adam and im new to this forum and i got a 11ft 60s speed boat what i have been rebilding and i been triying to find out what this 11fi speed boat is ! :wot:
i have put a fue photos of the boat on cmba-facebook page
i ues the boat a lot on ( milford haven ) and its a fun fast boat and its got a good tern of speed

ther is a lot of photos of this speed boat on my web page
http://hurley-silhouette.blogspot.com/

i dont think this boat is a
cris-craft
:pirate:
and it looks like a runbout
7435_1156279661050_1049482881_30391447_3426398_n.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: hi i am adam and im new to this forum and help

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome Adam, I had one like that..slightly different fins though..we think was about 1959 and made by Outboard and Hydroplane Services, who are still in existance. It could have just been sold/supplied by them. A chap by the name of John Merryfield was involved with OHS (he used to race runabouts in the early sixties (if not before?)). My old boat has gone through a few CMBA owners including Petrolhead who sold it on to Twister, who's renovated it and re-engined it.
Attachments
IMG_2176 (Large).JPG
114-1426_IMG (Large).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

watermint

Post by watermint »

thnks
my speed boat was living in a midel of a river for 20 yers as a sunk boat and lots of holes in the speed boat and i rebilt the boat and im tring to find inrignel deck fititing or some thing simler and like the bow handel
and i have been tring to find photos of this speed boat what i got of in side the boat and all over
and i have been looking in google photos but im not finging no info what i can find and what the max engine this 11ft speed shod have
i have been uesing a 6hp engine and its a pritey fast boat on miford haven :wot:
this boat when i fers got it it look like it ues to be race at 1 time

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

You've done a great job on it, no doubt was stacks of work. The original deck hardware (pics below) is hard to find - I threw mine away as it was monkey metal and pitted, (I used mostly Perko and some local stainless cleats, as ebay / internet wasn't as it is now) but I suggest you look at boat jumbles (the association details are listed in the forum) or on www.ebay.com which has a good selection, but sometimes high prices (beware of the shipping / duty&VAT and post office charges too). The other alternative is http://www.timage.eu which do a nice range of generic deck hardware. Get chrome on brass / bronze if you use the boat in saltwater.

I put a 20/25hp Mercury on mine, top speed was early 30s (mph). The hull is very 1950s in design, flat bottomed and has the typical small tumble home (the reversed shape in the transom) kept from wood boats of that era and sharp chine, which means like all boats of that era it'll chine steer if you get caught in a wake/wave. Russ had a 1960s 18hp Evinrude Fastwin on his and it ran very well - they are cheap to buy and maintain yourself. About 30 old hp would be max. I heard they used to run 40hp Mercurys on them..I wouldn't given the limitations of the hull design and the fact these boats are 52 year old grp and have lived an often hard life. Regardless, you'd need to make sure that the transom is capable of handling bigger power. In the case of 50s / 60s and 70s grp boats most transoms have turned to mush, as they were wood encapsulated and rot is likely to have invaded the wood.
Attachments
113-1387_IMG.JPG
113-1375_IMG.JPG
113-1376_IMG.JPG
113-1377_IMG.JPG
113-1373_IMG.JPG
113-1372_IMG.JPG
113-1370_IMG.JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Pics of the unrestored interior. The moulded seats were of a limited design which created hardspots and star crazing on the outside of the hull and were bolted into the deck, so had broken that. They fell apart soon after the restoration despite having new iroko frames, just moved around too much, cracked and broke. Everything wood in it was rotten, including the stringers, but not the transom knee which was pine. Behind the metal plate was a transom that was shot. Did you find similar problems?
Attachments
IMG_2172 (Large).JPG
114-1410_IMG.JPG
113-1359_IMG.JPG

watermint

Post by watermint »

hi thanks
if u look at my website - http://hurley-silhouette.blogspot.com/
u can see all the the work i done on my speed boat and a small video
and u can see what i done of fiting a floor as a bonsey tank and i need to up lode new phptos soon as well

of u can see some photos of my speed boat on
Classic Motor Boat Association of Great Britain on - facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 927&ref=ts

i do ues this speed boat in sea water all the time
i will ues i think for bits - http://www.timage.eu

my speed boat ues to have 4 step pads as well
what i well need to get if i can find them cheap

:wot:

my seeed boat
i do no what make it is of boat an it will be good to no
and ho made it

i have a outbord well in my speed boat whhat is a lot difredn to one i have seen on this forum :idea:

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Post by Simonp »

Hi Adam

Nice to hear someone active in Milford Haven and liked your interesting site. I have been going to Dale/Marloes for many decades on holiday from the Midlands. Been a CMBA member for more than 10 years and would like to bring my Simmonds down to Milford Haven at some point and use in on the Cleddau.

Noticed there are a number of old boats abandoned at Dale and wondered if you had managed to repatriate any.

Would nice nice to hook up next time I am down there. Generally stay over at Little Haven.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

watermint

Post by watermint »

Simonp wrote:Hi Adam

Nice to hear someone active in Milford Haven and liked your interesting site. I have been going to Dale/Marloes for many decades on holiday from the Midlands. Been a CMBA member for more than 10 years and would like to bring my Simmonds down to Milford Haven at some point and use in on the Cleddau.

Noticed there are a number of old boats abandoned at Dale and wondered if you had managed to repatriate any.

Would nice nice to hook up next time I am down there. Generally stay over at Little Haven.

SimonP

i live on Milford Haven but i ues the boat from neyland slip way what is free to ues for all boats
i go up river or i normley race the boat from neyland to dale to the pub
but i do spend time in dale on the yacht and tow the speed boat as wall by yacht and ues speed boat as a tender
:wot: :D

i am ues,ing a 4hp 4-stroke johnson on my speed boat but the 4hp was a 4hp but now its a 6hp but the speed boat has got a speed to it but soon i will find a 15hp engine 4-stroke :wot:

watermint

Post by watermint »

:grrr: :hmmm:
i dont no wher to look a bout this speed boat in google and find lodes and lodes of info a bout this speed boat
i want to find a lot mor a bout this tipe of speed boat
and a bout the copney ho made thes boat
ther must not bee meney speed boats like this if i canot find more info a bou it
:grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

i am tring to find a classic speedometer for my speed boat
has aney one got eney iders wher to look or find on

speedometer what takes a small pipe to the stern of the speed boat with a fin
thats wahat in looking for

watermint

Post by watermint »

help - :hmmm:
i am tring to find a classic speedometer for my speed boat
has aney one got eney iders wher to look or find on