Cardiff Rally heads up

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Cardiff Rally heads up

Post by Alacrity »

We have just found out that there is a England v Wales rugby match on Sat August 13th at the Millennium Stadium Cardiff, as a result accommodation could be more difficult to find & (certainly at major hotels etc.) could be considerably more expensive.

I suggest you book for your stay sooner rather than later to ensure you get what/where you want at a price you are happy(?) to pay.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Cardiff Rally heads up

Post by Tremlett 15 »

thanks for that,

beforeI book the ferry ( was going to do so this week ), am I correct that the rally dates will not be changed ?

:wot:

:drink:

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Post by Simonp »

Have any special rates been agreed at the usual hotels as in previous years?

Thanks

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Simonp wrote:Have any special rates been agreed at the usual hotels as in previous years?
Thanks

SimonP
Thanks Simon for asking, as I was just about to ask the same question too.........as
I got an online quote last night from the Future Inn for Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon nights @ £ 600stg........ :hmmm: which is over twice last years special price :( The St Davids on-line quote last night was £ 527 ish for the same 4 night...........HELP !

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Yes there is a clash and it is going to be horrendously expensive to stay in Cardiff over that weekend. Begs the question whether the event should be moved to another weekend.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Simonp wrote:Yes there is a clash and it is going to be horrendously expensive to stay in Cardiff over that weekend. Begs the question whether the event should be moved to another weekend.

SimonP

Mrs T15 phoned this morning 170 rooms still FREE and the rates are: double/twin room only £ 71 or double/twin B&B £ 89,
so the on-line quotes must be up the left......... :heat:

they have no ref/contact yet for the CMBA

if the date is changed, we cant go & Mrs T15 will lose her paid flight........ :(

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Simonp wrote:Begs the question whether the event should be moved to another weekend.
In theory yes that would solve the accommodation issue. In practical terms there is already much arranged for the weekend, harbour authority, yacht club, caterers etc. etc. Were we to try & change it now we run the risk of not having the event at all. Also there are events in the calendar already before & after this date.

I have spoken with the Future Inn & they are not prepared to alter rates on rugby weekends full stop. I did try stressing the point that we have been coming there as a group for some years now but it cut no ice. No discount & thats it as far as they are concerned - £150.00 for 2 people per night without breakfast, I was quoted at 12.50 today. I did get a slightly better rate through eurobookings.com but it was still £268.00 for the Fri & Sat.http://www.booking.com give a long list of hotels with availability, Ibis for example listing 2 nights for £172.00. You just need to get searching I'm afraid. Or camp at the yacht club like wot I does! :shock: :perfect:

Geoff
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

I received this recently from Steve Carpenter:-

The rugby was held the same time I think first or second Cardiff event, you get a lot of traffic when they tip out, but by the time we get out of the CYC bar Sat it's all over.

We're staying out at St Georges Ely in the camper at Greendown Hotel (a Caravan Club CL) they take 5 outfits on a grassed area by the car park, £10 night with electric hook up and we get a nice full English in the bar for £5...works for us. About 15 mins drive north from CYC.

Don't know what the rooms are like, it was very quiet when were there last year, don't think they get that many guests...I guess there are reviews on the web.

We got on well with the owners who were very helpful to us.

It may be of help to some of you.

Geoff

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Thanks for the efforts so far - there are still some affordable rooms on Late Rooms so will try there.

SimonP

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi All

I have managed to book in at the Premier Travel Inn in Cardiff City South for £39.00 per night. This location is not as convenient as the Future Inn but not too far away. Another Premier Travel Inn at Cardiff will do Friday and Sunday at £39.00 but want £110 for Saturday. I stay in a lot of Premier Travel Inns with my work and apart from the purple and gold colour scheme the rooms and bathroom's are usually quite good.

It may be wise to get in quick as the other Hotels are all charging premium rates that weekend, and I think these prices may well rise.

regards

:help: Al