Albatross 2 or 4 seater prices

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mickypitch
CMBA Member: 0

Albatross 2 or 4 seater prices

Post by mickypitch »

Hi - New to the forum

Having seen the display at the boat show and always loved the look of the Albatross its prompted me to enquire what I could expect to have to pay for a 2 or preferably 4 seater in good useable condition. Not concours/restored but good original boat with plenty of patina?

Looking around the internet there does not seem to be many for sale at the moment and there is a complete range of prices of boats for sale in the past.

In reality I would want a boat for fun with the family/kids over the summer and perhaps enough poke to pull a fledgling skier.

Any thoughts on above much appreciated.

Regards

Mick

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Albatross 2 or 4 seater prices

Post by Rapier »

Welcome to the forum. I think you've hit the nail on the head about a complete range of past prices. There is no pattern and no best time to buy during the year (although I'd avoid the spring). As a watcher I've seen running usable ford powered 4 seaters go for £600 and nasty stripped (& hard work) projects for £2000, and anything in-between. 2 seaters are less sought after, but more common for that obvious reason and if you like your family aboard I'd avoid; no matter how nice. Is like the classic car market though, go for the best running / looking boat you can afford, stick with the ford engined variants - even 100Es can be tuned up. So, although I'm not an expert, I'd possibly pay around £2K to £3.5K for a nicer 4 seater restoration (& with provenance), unless you fancy a restored Climax engined version, in which case £6K upwards. The slipper stern 2&4 seater models, with Sunbeam Alpine motors, tend to be higher priced due to their rarity, but are largely unloved for their style - I've seen those advertised up to £12K, but no idea whether that was achieved.

Is worthwhile placing a wanted ad in the Boat Jumble, joining the CMBA (as boats change hands by word of mouth..) and I suggest you talk to John Fildes at Albatross Marine, he's often offered usable boats and knows the various model changes / engine packages off by heart.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

The boat you saw at the show - which was the baby 1176cc 100E version - will pull a skier without a problem with a driver and observer in the boat. To be fair a std 100E 4 seater may struggle with a fully grown male skier however things like the decent exhaust manifold will give an extra 10hp so very little tuning is needed to get it as you would want. The 1500cc Ford engine will have more grunt & the Climax powered boats even more - but they are fussy engines so best avoided unless you like tinkering a lot! As Rapier says Albatross Marine may be able to help - his details are on our main website links page.

Good luck.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

mickypitch

Post by mickypitch »

Hi - Really helpful informative replies and tips - I will keep my eye out for a 4 seater in useable condition.

Thanks

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

Welcome to the mad world of classic boating. It may be worth looking for an Alloy Delta, they were very similar to an Albatross, but little bigger (can squeeze three in). They were also powered by ford engines, 1500 pre x flow, can be tuned to 100+ hp and also very reliable.
I have an Albatross (2seater) but its being restored at present, probably more than you want to take on.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi Mick,you might find albatross marine a good website to look at,there are plenty of pictures of the model range and lots of details about the engine set ups. There is racing on the Norfolk broards in August have a look on the site for the racing video's,I have a 4 seater continental,I have owned it for nearly 20 years and been on the water once in it, they are quick and nimble ....its on my to do list this year to get it out and recommision it, another 20 boat projects have gotten in the way...just got my new project and I am sorting out twin 6 cylinder bedfords at the moment but the Albatross will come out promise!
Best regards Liz

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Post by Pete54 »

Time of year, status of the seller, 'realism' all have a huge influence.

Four years ago I paid £3000 for a very nice and largely original Mk3 with a 100E.

There is a Coventry Climax one near here, been for sale for quite awhile at £6k plus, I believe. Recently advertised a £12k Corsair!

The usual winter summer differentials have a big impact. I've been looking at changing the engine in mine to a Coventry. A good FWB Climax engine will cost around £6k - yet you can buy a complete Albatross with that engine for the salme money.

All in all it depends what the market looks like, and that is certainly not improving at the moment. The biggest single variant though is the state of the boat. Make sure you buy something that is routinely used, far too many sit in sheds or under covers and when they emerge into the light they tend not not perform well - if at all (ask me how I know!).

mickypitch

Post by mickypitch »

Hi - thanks for the information - have not found any for sale at the moment on the internet - but will keep looking.
Amazing you have had yours for twenty years Liz - I guess people hang on them- there a great looking boat!

Pauly1

Post by Pauly1 »

I have a Mk 100e albatross for sale in excellent condition with a trailer. 2 seater boat, fully restored few years ago and kept in garage since.

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

IMG_3473.jpg
I finished a restoration of my albatross continental last year it took 14 months of nearly 7days a week to finish. with every thing done by me inc climax engine. full paint inside and out. riveting.fabricating and machining. i have turned down £15,000 plus another continental for the boat. a years work has to be worth more than that not counting the money on materials don't you think so. Unless you are very lucky the more you pay the better the boat.