Windermere - going from bad to worse?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Windermere - going from bad to worse?

Post by Alacrity »

This was received today from a CMBA member:-

Hello,

In the wake of Paul S resigning from the Windermere Lake Forum out of shear frustration at the intransience of the LDNPA, I must write and highlight the hypocrisy of the Windermere Steamboat Museum Governors. They allow the National Park Rangers to berth at the Museum and since August 2012 the Rangers have obtained hi-tech video speed recording binoculars which now allow them to successfully prosecute at will. At least 6 power boat users have been prosecuted, the maximum fine of £500 plus costs, one was actually prosecuted for a recorded speed of 15 mph. (see links below)
http://www.windermerelocal.co.uk/video- ... rPath=home
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/ ... ding_fine/

They now have the power to eliminate waterskiing and power boating from the lake, (let's face it - that is what they really want) which is of course not in any of our interests. In view of this, although it would affect the Classic boat show at Windermere, it would not be appropriate to patronise the Steamboat Museum any longer. The Museum authority and other 10mph limit campaigners vigorously oppose our presence. Unless they say otherwise we should not support them any longer.
Regards
Steve E
CMBA Founder member

So it looks like the days of a warden going one way & a 'speedboat' going the other way for an (illegal) blast is not possible any more.

:grrr: :grrr:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Windermere - going from bad to worse?

Post by Rapier »

My initial reply waffled on about how iniquitous this all is, however the old adage of making your bed and lying in it applies. Pity all the money that's been lost though; I for one have never been back, pity really, but much better and happier places to boat abroad.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sea-Jay
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Sea-Jay »

The whole thing's pathetic and hypocritical!

The originally stated aim was to reduce the wash from powerboats...have you seen the ruddy great things in the marina? Sunseeker types with twin engines and radar - on Windermere for goodness sake!

An Albatross at 30 knots makes barely a ripple whereas a 35 foot cabin cruiser at (legal) 10 knots throws up a stern wave like Beachy Head!

Typical of politicians, never let the facts get in the way of a "policy"!

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Going to give the rally a miss this year.i feel sorry the B & B

Sea-Jay

Post by Sea-Jay »

Howstar wrote:Going to give the rally a miss this year.i feel sorry the B & B
Don't think you'll be the only one!

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

I have to admit to having never been on Windermere other than on the car ferry a few years ago and lets be honest, that just doesn't count. It looks like I never will as this has just about but the nail in the coffin for me. My Delta V6 spent some considerable time blasting around the Lake prior to my ownership. It won't be returning!!! :grrr:

If your going to speed Illegally you may as well do it on the local canal/river, there are less speed guns :shock:
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I just wikipedia windermere as I don't know much about it and was surprised to read that this is the largest natural lake in England at 18 kilometres long and up to 1.49 wide I thought you guys were talking about a small little lake or something 12 foot wide :giggle:
It also says " Another concern has been the effect on many local businesses of reduced visitor numbers. Many businesses have closed and tourist numbers, especially numbers of users on the lake, have severely dropped since the introduction of the speed limit" seems like someone needs to take their head out of their ass and cop on, it all sounds a bit Irish to me but thank God its not :wot: :chuffed:
At least some of you will be able to :wot: in May and the only speed camera will be to see who has the fastest boat :D

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

right or wrong, the punishment (c£600) for 20mph in a 10mph zone seems disproportionate. You would get less for doing 80mph past a school.

Besides, who is the victim that needs another £15?

R

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Oh no ... looks like "they" are getting what they want .... no wonder Mr Paul S. has thrown the towel in ... after all that effort and hard work ! such a shame,and after reading all the the posts/links about a poor victim of just doing 15MPH with a massive fine plus costs .. they are having a laugh ! I will be thinking very carefully about attending Windermere in the near future (this year would have been my 16th year in succesion !) however, I may even decide the same as Howstar, the thought of the ever increasing power of the "wolfs" with high tech money making machines makes me very nervous of navigating England"s Heritage biggest natural lake with stacks of history attached. I feel very gutted and sad at this present time, and only wish I could afford the time and money to venture over seas to the location(s) that so many talk about but the cost and time to do it way exceeds my possibility of attending such events. Lake Windermere, .....so beautiful so natural, so sad to see it heading to a place where no classic boat owners will want to go to and relax without looking over your shoulder constantly worrying about being "done " for such trivial speeds above the limit . so sad such a shame, lets hope the above does not become a reality. :cry:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

LaDauphine wrote:right or wrong, the punishment (c£600) for 20mph in a 10mph zone seems disproportionate
In the Hamble River fines and costs for 3-4 knots more than the limit are £2000-£3000. I now hear the powers that be want carte blanche powers to be given to all Harbour Masters. The major issue on this river appears to be a failure to maintain a proper watch, yet the law is likely more lenient than the penalties for 'speeding'.

I can't help thinking that no one represents power boaters in this country. If we had an ABPA like the US, it is probable that the Windermere boaters would have had funding and legal representation to fight their corner with greater power and send these lunatics off with a flea in their ear.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...