Can anyone help me Identify this boat?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

rogerfishburn
CMBA Member: 0

Can anyone help me Identify this boat?

Post by rogerfishburn »

Hi All,
I have just purchased a 16 foot (which looks to be a ski boat) but I don't know anything about it and I am struggling to find out what it is. it has an inboard engine but the prop connection is forward of the engine bay.

Here are the images:

if anyone could help me with identifying this or with engine & gearbox arrangement I would be most grateful. I also have a 12ft aquamarine wooden speed boat but don't know where to find out about its origin. if anyone can point me in the right direction again I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Roger

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Re: Can anyone help me Identify this boat?

Post by bigminiandy »

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Nice boat not sure what it is though. With the engine/gearbox/prop shaft arrangement i'd have thought it must have used a v gearbox. An extreme example of this sort of box is like the ones fitted to the American drag boats, they call them a V drive.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, I saw that one on ebay, local to me, but can't help am afraid - did think perhaps there was a Glen-L connection and it may have been home built. Post some pics of your other boat - Aqua Marine was a well known Canadian based deck hardware manufacturer in the 60s and early 70s, but they didn't make boats..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Looks very Glen-l to me too maybe a tornado or the missile is 16' the transom looks very similar.

This is the type of gearbox bigminiandy was talking about and they are used in the tornado.

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

thanks everyone, i will dig a bit deeper and see what i can find out. The reason i thought the other boat was aqua marine was that the one remaining step pad had that on it. It does have a 25hp gale outboard so everything pointed to Canadian. I will take some photos and post them for people to look at - bit of a state at the moment though. Whist i am here i have another , a 14ft what i think is a broom that was fitted with a British Anzani 400 outboard, all still there , i am trying to renovate the motor at present but does anyone know what model it would have been? plain plywood top but engine looks factory fitted electric start.
thanks again I may have two 1958 5.5hp Johnson outboards ready soon , one long shaft and one short shaft if anyone is looking for one
cheers roger

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Hi, a very nice looking boat, however a 'flattie' so fab on a lake, bit uncomfortable offshore. Clearly she was a vee drive, lets you get a much shallower shaft angle and keeps the weight of the engine well aft. Personally, I'd go for a marinised Rover V8 with an american walter vee drive if you can find one. There is also Casales V drives, and the Italian BPM company, however BPM drives have the input/output flanges paired horizontally rather than vertically. Great project, make it loud and fast!

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

Hi thanks for the information, i will start looking but if anyone out there has a v drive they will part with for a good price let me know. I was thinking of re decking it with either oak or teak planking dont know yet. I may sell her on as i have already got three other unfinished boats and the wife isnt happy, she wants new windows, so if anyone is interested again let me know.
cheers roger

MAVERICK

Post by MAVERICK »

Hi
How much are you looking for?
Regards Paul

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

You could always sell your wife, They don`t understand are big boys toys