Broom Viscount restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Smile and pay
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Viscount restoration

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi all yes after 20 years at the back of my garage it's seen the light of day,I have started to revarnish my broom viscount
Stripped of the old varnish,what a horrible job choose that really hot fortnight,gave it a Hoover,cleaned with white spirit and started to build some layers, dust is the No 1 enemy, :console: any suggestions on how to build up the layers what to build them with and what product to use will be gratefully excepted.
Best regards Liz

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Broom Viscount restoration

Post by sean-nós »

I used "International schooner gold" on my builds putting on each coat by roll and tipping let it set for a week or two then give it a light sanding before the next coat, my builds are outside so dust and bugs were a big problem the only thing I could do was wet the ground and everything around me before I started :D The schooner gold has a bit of a tint so may not be to everyones taste, this is how mine turned out.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Thanks for the info you have got a great finish on there ! how many coats did it take,I am up to around 5 topsides and only got two on the sides, will try and get some pictures posted.....whats the best way of uploading pictures on here please
Best regards Liz

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Im on about 8 coats on the boat I just built but will be doing a few more over the winter as the wood is still settling down.
For posting photos I use photobucket and just copy the IMG and paste onto the post.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

See here for uploading pictures.

I always use Epifanes varnish. Start with 2-3 thinned down coats, leave to harden then flat of with wet & dry. I then build up with 3 coats at a time, applied with 24hrs of each other then again leave to harden so they can be flatted off again. It is a Looooong process if you want perfection, you can't hurry it as the varnish 'sinks' in time.

Lots of methods but all similar & time & patience is what makes for a good finish.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Thanks both for the info ....do you have any sand paper preferences I started on 400 then went to 600, on a block lightly between coats I know I am meant to go with the grain,but I found it quiet good to skim across the grain if for instance I had a small brush stroke that I had missed.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

I wouldn't go as high as 600 between coats as it may not give enough bite for the next one, a long flexible sanding board will also help with the finish. You don't have to get it perfect between coats just fairly level it's not be a case of sanding down the high spots but more of filling in the low then on the last coat go from 400.600.800.1000.1500.2000 and then rubbing compound.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi there a couple of pictures 8 coats topside still got about 4 more on the sides, as suggested I am going to let it settle before doing some more
Regs Liz
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg