Boat fender /pads ?

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Boat fender /pads ?

Post by welshhealey »

Please forgive me if I've asked this question some years back, :notworthy: but what can I use as fender's /pads to protect the high "slab" sided hull on my Aquila ? time is getting near to the day of it's first dip and do not want to damage it on the notorious rocks in the wall on the Cardiff Yacht Club slip way wall (most of you will know what I mean) I attach a pic to illustrate what I mean about the odd shaped hull. I presume I may have to have some made ? :hmmm: and any suggestions on how to attach them to the boat ? :grrr: had some wonderfull webbing type straps with push on studs for the low freeboard fenders that I had from Twister once ... brilliant :perfect:

20130712_195408.jpeg

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Boat fender /pads ?

Post by sean-nós »

This is what I did with a few bits of high density foam and a pack of girls tights :D

I shaped the foam and cut some slits 3/4 of the way through to allow it to bend then I poked a hole down through the first section and passed a bit of rope down it and tide a large knot.

Then poked a hole in the toe of the tight passed the rope through and pull the tight down over the foam cut off the excess and sewed it up.
3 new fenders that will confirm to the shape of the boat :D

I also have small suction pads like the kind for pulling dents out of cars that I can stick anywhere on the boat http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suction-Cup-Den ... 1408589266

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

Like it , very unique :perfect: does it matter what make tights you use ? :hilarious: but it does the job though,does'nt it ! well done on that idea, very effective, thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi Ian

I am looking forward to seeing your Moonfleet, it's a triumph if it just floats considering the condition it was in when you started the restoration.

In my experience, the fenders don't want to be too long as they start to float to one side or the other. I think mine were 18" and this was a little too long, I would try 15"

Regards

Al

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

Hi Al,

Many many thanks for your kind comments, you must be one of the few who remember the state she was in way back in 2008 ! quite a while ago I know, but it's been a hard struggle and labour of love, with 2 steps forward and 5 steps back many times but at long last I think the light is at the end of the tunnel.... I hope :hmmm: ! I must have been mad to take on such a mammoth task as this one :o got loads of pics. (hundreds in fact) of the rebuild so it will certainly fill more than two pages when I hopefully put the story together for the the mag. :hilarious:

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

These are the fenders I use, they are made by anchor marine and called "chubby" I think. They are good for boats like ours with not much freeboard because they are short and fat so like Al said they don't dangle around in the water. I can't remember where I got them from now but a google search should pull up some sellers.
Mine are attached to the small fender eyes sold by Timage.
The big blue one is also my 'emergency fender' which I just hook over the side on a rope if I need it.
image.jpg
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild