Delta Nymph restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Peter Mann
CMBA Member: 0

Delta Nymph restoration

Post by Peter Mann »

Hi All.
I have a recently acquired Delta Nymph speedboat to restore. It came with (non original) trailer, steering gear, damaged windscreen and two engines. A quite nice looking Johnson 25hp (26 years old) and a big mariner 40hp in poor/unknown condition. I have just joined this forum but some of you may remember me as being the first newsletter editor and web site boss at the very beginning of the CMBA (Rod, keith are you still around?). However back to my Nymph. See attached two pics taken at purchase and one of her bottom after spraying but before cutting etc. This is my third restoration and for the first time I am doing my own spray painting (I am retired now so have the time). A fellow forum and Nymph owner, Phil Taylor also owns one of these craft and I would like to know a bit more about them. I have search the net and found nothing which surprises me. Were these craft built by Ray Wright (who I met once) When were they made, what engines are suited? etc etc. I have a hundred questions but no one to ask. Can someone point me? I would be grateful.
By the way, my first restoration was an Albatross Continental called CurlyJo. I sold her and then regretted doing so. Does anyone know of her whereabouts?
Peter Mann
Wimborne
Dorset
01202 881489
The appalling weather during June virtually stopped me in my tracks, as I could not erect the marquee, as it would have just blown away. Nor could I move marquee to a quieter spot as boat was still upside down, Catch 22 and all that. I also admit to failure in spray painting. I either got runs when getting the &quot;wet&quot; look it was suggested I obtained or on compensating I got a dry look which would not cut back. Various people tell me that spray painting is a black art and try rollering with a mohair roller thinned down by 5%. This worked quite well and hull is now finished. The painting however has shown up a number of dents which were not obvious at first. I could have filled them in but it would have used a lot of filler and so I have left the boat honest. It is after all 40 odd years old.<br />Watch this space. Peter
The appalling weather during June virtually stopped me in my tracks, as I could not erect the marquee, as it would have just blown away. Nor could I move marquee to a quieter spot as boat was still upside down, Catch 22 and all that. I also admit to failure in spray painting. I either got runs when getting the "wet" look it was suggested I obtained or on compensating I got a dry look which would not cut back. Various people tell me that spray painting is a black art and try rollering with a mohair roller thinned down by 5%. This worked quite well and hull is now finished. The painting however has shown up a number of dents which were not obvious at first. I could have filled them in but it would have used a lot of filler and so I have left the boat honest. It is after all 40 odd years old.
Watch this space. Peter
Attachments
After final coat but before cutting etc. A cheap marquee was my spray booth.
After final coat but before cutting etc. A cheap marquee was my spray booth.
Inside, seats missing.
Inside, seats missing.
At purchase. Had already been stripped down to metal and new nose fitted as a result of some previous incident
At purchase. Had already been stripped down to metal and new nose fitted as a result of some previous incident
Last edited by Peter Mann on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Delta Nymph restoration

Post by Rapier »

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. I'm familar with your name...were you at the Poole rally in autumn 2004? Rod posts often so will pop his head up and others no doubt, to give you more history on your Nymph. I am familiar with the one you own, as Columbus and me picked his Albatross Continental up from the previous owner of it (it might have changed hands since then). Phil's one I've seen at Cardiff and Francis O has one with 33/40hp OMC on the back which runs well (or at least did in 2005 at Cardiff) and looks lovely. I've always assumed 50hp would be more than enough on one.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Peter Mann

Post by Peter Mann »

Thankyou Rapier
I look forward to some history on the Nymph from who ever can help. I did see a Johnson 25hp on Utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fItL6IgsE going quite quickly. Someone asked a question and the video owner stated its a Johnson 25 with a Johnson 35 carb' fitted. I wonder where I could get such a carb?
Anyway expect some more pictures soon. I now have to wait a week for the two pack paint to harden off before cutting. Then their's the decking, then the steering, then........hey Ho
Peter

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

Hi Peter, good to hear from you again and hope you're well.

I don't have much info on the Nymph, other than that Ray Wright once told me that he always reckoned they went best with the engine he always had in mind for them during the design process, which was the Merc 50. Not sure how many he made, not many I guess - to the best of my knowledge they were originally polished & unpainted, which is why he used round headed rivets rather than countersunk, which would have required filling.

Hopefully more info will surface in due course.

rod

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Hi Peter,

delighted to hear from you after all these years, that classic boating bug bites deep obviously! I'm currently chairman of the CMBA and most of the old mob you remember are still active members, well, p'haps a little less of the activity stuff!! But we all have boats, loads of them and you are most welcome with your very pretty Nymph.

Hope to see you again soon, our big rally is at Cardiff next month (14,15,16th) and we have a classic weekend at the Lake Yard in Poole as a season closer.

all best,

Chris Harris

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

Hi Peter,

CurlyJo is at Balmaha on Loch Lomond; i'll post a picture after the next time I'm up there if you'd like?

Cheers,

Ian.

Peter Mann

Post by Peter Mann »

Have just found by accident the serial no of Nymph. Its 1019. Can anyone tell me what age this represents or how to find out? Peter ps. The number is next to the transom on port side near the top edge of metal.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Francis O was at Cardiff last weekend with his beautiful polished Nymph - albeit with only a 28 Evinrude on her. I believe he would like to power her with a 50 Merc, sensible man that he is. I am sure I recall him telling me there were very few Nymphs made, so it is possible yours is boat no. 19?? Another member in the South East told me he knows of another awaiting restoration which could be for sale, which is tempting but I have too many boats on the go already. :hmmm:

It may be worth you having a chat with Francis?
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

It was nice to see Francis O's again - he spent ages polishing it! Makes me glad I didn't go that far with the Pearly Miss. Does anyone know how many they made? I've only seen 3 in the flesh including Peter's.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Peter Mann

Post by Peter Mann »

Have just seen Phil Taylors Nymph and most interesting it was too. See picture of his name plate (mine is missing) and you will see that his boat numbered 1011 is dated 465 which Phill tells me is 1965. This means my Nymph numbered 1019 was built around 1965 or 66/67 perhaps depending on Ray Wrights output.
Attachments
plate.jpg