Chrome.

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Chrome.

Post by BroomBroom »

Fantastic job Broompisces :perfect:
You must be chuffed to bits...
R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

I pulled the engine out my boat tonight as a big end has gone and I have purchased a full engine gasket kit to replace all gaskets since there is also a broken stud on the exhaust manifold.

It came out really very easy but I suspect the return journey may not be quite as straightforward.

I also want to replace the three engine mounts and I am asking if anyone knows where I may source these. It is not the bolts / hardware I'm after, but the material that suppresses the vibration. I'm tempted to say "the rubber engine mounts" but they appear to be made from some sort of tightly packed material. Can anyone help? Do these pop out of their seats or is it more involved to replace?

I attach an image showing the three in question; two at the stern where the engine rests on the outdrive housing and the one at the forward end.

All suggestions / advice gratefully received!

Many thanks.
Attachments
IMG-20110223-00133 - Copy.jpg

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Sorry............. I should have said that my engine is a 1968 Mercruiser 120hp.

I have sourced a parts catalogue from 1973 and attach an image of the relevant page below. I now have the part numbers, but can anyone advise where to source the parts?!

Many thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0001 copy.jpg

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Very many thanks indeed for that. It appears that the kit part number GLM21811 contains everything I need for the rear - I'm guessing the "tightly packed material" I referred to was the fibre washer that has disintegrated.

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

My engine is now almost completely stripped down and I have a list of engine parts I need to order. I haven't had a huge success in the past when ordering parts from UK suppliers - can anyone recommend (you won't be held responsible!) a UK parts supplier for a 1968 Mercruiser 120 hp?

I'm after pretty standard stuff; shells, pistons, oil pump, con rod bolts, manifold studs, engine mounts etc.

I'd rather buy from the UK but will purchase from the States if the consensus is that it would be better.

I attach an image of my inverted engine prior to complete strip down.
Attachments
IMG-20110308-00190 - Copy.jpg

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Given that my 120 h.p. Mercruiser engine is a Chevrolet 153 c.i. motor, I surfed some American forums and had it confirmed that many of the parts I need can be found at U.S. motor parts dealers. They are a bit cheaper. A U.K. Mercruiser dealer quoted me £69.67 for a single piston which I sourced in the States for $12.37. Both prices exclude delivery (and import duties in relation to the U.S. purchases). As is often the case with these suppliers, the one I have been speaking with has a "Guru" who knows everything and was able to save me money by offering to "tear down" some kits they have for my Chevrolet engine and sell me those parts on an individual basis. All the parts I have ordered are brand new. If anyone is interested, I can give you details of the U.S. dealer.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Good stuff! Petrolhead advised me on that route when I was fiddling with the CVX-16SS motor...put the words marine in a parts list and is priced to the limit.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

I got my cylinder head back from the engineers this week; it's had a skim and all the valve seats cut for the new valves. The rebuild starts in earnest next week.
Attachments
IMG00046-20110422-1041 - Copy.jpg

ADF
CMBA Member: 0

Post by ADF »

If you don't mid me asking, how much was the chrome plating (very first pic)??

Thanks
Someone once told me:
"A boat is a big hole in the sea you throw money in to"
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"