NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

Post by sean-nós »

Very nice work :thumbsup: I love the bow and dash plate nice touch. Keep up the good work.

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks for your kind comments, as this is all new too me restoring a classic wooden boat I really appreciate the remarks from those in the know and I must say that a huge amount of the knowledge I am gaining is through the help, tips and advice I have got from being a member of the club, worth every penny. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Latest update includes setting in my stainless bow trim and at last getting the epoxy on the deck. The stainless trim has been carefully inset into the deck so that it was just proud of the wood so after epoxy and varnish it should hopefully be absolutely flush. I was very careful with the router and finished off the edges with a chisel. Seems to have worked so far. The epoxy was fun, working with it on a much warmer day than when I did the hull I soon found I had a lot less time to work it but at least I could get the following coats of quicker as the gel time was much shorter. Just need flat back now before starting the multiple coats of varnish. I have also been loose fitting the seating so I can get my upholstery friend to start on the cushions which will be in dark blue with white tuck and roll inner sections.
image.jpg
Epoxy on and stainless trim in place.
image.jpg
Oak screw covers looking nice down the side deck.
Attachments
image.jpg

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Post by mad millie »

Very nice and looking cracking!! Will look a dream on the water.
Hope you've spent as much time on the other boat :thumbsup:

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks J, she's coming along slowly and yes we have been racking up the hours on her big sister, 7 hours last Monday, didn't realise quite how strong the sun and wind was, kinda red when I got home!!!!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Forgot to add this to the update, stripped down and restored my nice two handle control box, would be nice to find new plastic knobs, especially the red one if anyone knows where I could get them????
image.jpg

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

she is very very like my venturer... 12ft?
did you epoxy and chop matt her deck?
i need to do my first sheathing and need some guidance..... lol

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

pandora3.jpg
Img_8287-1.jpg

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Hi Neil, she is very similar to your PVB but has some differences, particularly in the hull construction and frame work which looks far more complex than yours. She is 12ft 6" long and 5' 6 at her widest point across the deck. I am sure she is of the same period but not sure she is a PB design. As to the epoxy I only used it as a barrier coat and didn't use matting, just 3 good coats of epoxy. simon

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Had a very good mornings work today on decks. Flatted back the epoxy to get a lovely smooth finish for the varnish and after a thorough cleaning down started on my fake holly inlay. This is self adhesive vinyl trim tape and having already tried a test it will have a very light sand with 280 to provide a grip for the varnish. I have done one side first just to be sure I like it and I do, what do you guys think??????
image.jpg

So that's it for a while as I am tired up with work for the next 10 days then hopefully it will be on with the deck varnish.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Nice job :perfect: good idea with the vinyl stripping as well, I routed and in-filled the seams on my deck and it caused quite a bit of trouble, but that is a much better way.
I look forward to seeing the varnish going on!
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild