NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

Post by Sicobra »

Ok, here we go, after being rather tardy some pictures of the restoration of my 1950's woody which is similar to a Venturer but I have not been able to find out which, if any, plans she was built from. Fiirst here is the link to my posting that shows her before the work( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3390 )

Ok pic one, after removong all the fittings, sanding down the deck and digging out all the old screw covering wood filler and replacing with oak i stipped the interior varnish back to bare and coated with 6 coats of Epiphanes.
DSCF1976 copy.jpg

Pic 2,3 and 4, made up a dolly, turned her over and sanded back all old paint on hull back to bare wood which revealed to cracks between two sheets which were casing a leak on both sides.
DSCF1945 copy.jpg
DSCF1947 copy.jpg
DSCF1951 copy.jpg
Pic 5, the joint cracks on the hull and also found on the transum were V shaped out and back filled with epoxy filler and sanded smooth.
DSCF1953 copy.jpg
OK thats the end of part one.

Sicobra

Re: NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

Post by Sicobra »

PART 2

After more sanding it was time for epoxy barrier coats, it was +1 degrees outside and i was sick of waiting so various heaters and a reasonably well insulted garage meant I could maintain 22 degress all day, what a long one to get 4 coats on!!!!
DSCF1961 copy.JPG
DSCF1964 copy.jpg
DSCF1966 copy.jpg
A good scrub down a few days later to remove any bloom and guess what, more sanding to get thesurface as sooth as possible for paint.
DSCF1971 copy.jpg
DSCF1975 copy.jpg
I was originally going to paint at home but when a friend of mine said use my paint booth how could I refuse, I sprayed 3 good coats of 2 pack polyester and her shine was returing(see part 3).
DSCF1981 copy.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I'd forgotten this post. Has such pleasing lines - to me at least, it looks lovely...There were so many ply builders around then - even the 'amateurs' could get hold of plans and self-build pretty runabouts, such that is a bit of hit and miss to find who manufactured what. By the early 60s, GRP imports from Brunswick, Dorsett and local builders such as Fletcher, OHS, Derry and Merrycraft, meant wood and ply boats were on the out, as far as volume manufacturing were concerned.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

PART 3

After her 3 coats of 2 pac.
DSCF1987 copy.jpg
A good couple of weeks later(last week) and the paint had harden of nicely it was time to put on the running strips, new aluminium section for the middle, original restored brass for the outers, all with new brass screws.
DSCF2611 copy.jpg
DSCF2614s.jpg
So thats where I am at with the hull and decks, she is now back home and I will start on the upper finish, fittings and some ideas I have to make her stand out even more. As always when some things are drying we look at other things we can be getting on with, here are the bench seats after varnish.
DSCF2001 copy.jpg
I have also been collecting some nice period fittings for her over the last year, the new old stock wheel was a find and I shall spray the green centre to match to TBA blue upholstery but the item I am really please with is the 1957 Smiths speedo in original box with all the fittings in thier original bags and instructions. I bought it of Ebay from a chap in the USA who shipped to a friend over there who brought it back for me. How it got there in the first place???
DSCF2004 copy.jpg
DSCF2006 copy.jpg

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

PART 4

More pics of the Smiths speedo
DSCF2009 copy.JPG
DSCF2008 copy.jpg
One of the things I wanted to do from the outset was to retain as much if not all of her original wood that I could, I was very fortunate that we found no rot or brake down of old glue but there was one thing that annoyed me. The dash had some annoying screw holes around the original speedo hole and the hole itself was oval, my new speedo just looked odd with gaps around the side. Out with the drawing paper and I came up with a dashboard/speedo trim that I like the look of, looked good in card so with some stainless sheet, a polishing mop to mirror finish it and then some masking and light sanding I came up with this I am really pleased with the outcome, I hope you all approve.
DSCF2014 copy.jpg
DSCF1996 copy.jpg
Ok finally for tonight and a few weeks as I am tired up with work, my quest to find some new screen to deck rubber in white came up trumps, again thanks to another friend who travelled to the States and found it sitting delivered to his hotel when he arrived!!!!! I am constantly amazed by costmer service in the USA having been constantly given the NO PROBLEM SIR attitude when I have needed stuff for not only boats but cars and planes.
DSCF2017s.jpg
cheers for now and stay tuned for the next update, Si

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks Rapier, we love her lines too which is why I sold the Scorpio as soon as it was finished, i couldnt justify or have space for two trailered boats and a moored 24 footer. I am hoping that long term she will forever stay in our family as she brings such smiles to us as owners and to those that see her.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Very nice, you have a good eye. look forward to seeing more as it moves on. What is your intended use, River, sea, lake?

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks Floater, I am really enjoying the process of my first wooden boat restoration and trying to get the look right. We live in Norwich so she will mainly be used on the Broads with some occasional coastal use. I have a modern 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke for gently cruising on the rivers and a couple of Evinrude 18HP Fastwin's of early 60's vintage that need cosmetic restoration for the odd blast, rally and period look when needed. We were really looking forward to Fritton this year but I now see in the spring news letter it's off this year, what a shame, I doubt we will make Cardiff but may try to make one of the others.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

The gauge and surround looks great. Not sure I'd poke that pitot through the hull though. I've been through many of the period Smiths pitots by forgetting to pull them up and that looks scary. Re. the wheel, I think they made that boss cover in all colours - I thought they were only available in chrome, but I have a blue one I got with a wheel on Sun (chrome insert is monkey metal and pitted though) and I've seen nice all chrome ones come up separately in ebay in the states. You might be lucky longterm. I am going to investigate getting screen rubber made - am sure there is a market for it here and in Europe, without the cost of buying, shipping and duties/post office handling fees, from the US. That one you've got is the pucker stuff and I like the hidden fastenings too.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Glad you like the gauge surround, I am very pleased with it.
I know what you mean about the pitot but I am not sure what other options there are to still be able to use the gauge, any suggestions would be most appreciated.
The monkey metal/chrome on the wheel is not perfect but not far off and the green cover should look nice in dark blue to match the upholstery.
I tried so many poeple regarding the screen rubber, I could get some from Italy but is was twice the price of the USA, tried Littleport Screens and they have tried to make it but have had trouble with the whiteness!!!! Maybe a bulk buy from the States would help spread the expenses????