Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout - now finished Jan 2021

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout

Post by Alacrity »

Rapier wrote:The original Snipes trailers I've owned have about 120mm D section covered bunks and were just as effective.
I personally don't agree on this where wooden boats are concerned. My Stapely Snipe trailer had this setup & the paint was worn through & the wood worn where they sat, although it is possible of course too much weight was being taken by them if they were a bit high. On fibreglass or tin boats they are fine I believe but carpeted bunks are better.

I bought my bunks (plus a lot of bespoke steelwork to convert my Snipe) from De Graaf Trailers but they know how to charge so I would recommend making your own.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

A couple of years ago before I found a pair of bunks at a boat jumble I had a quote of £55 + £12 delivery for a pair from.

RM Trailers Ltd, Prospect Road Industrial Estate,
New Farm Road, New Alresford, Hampshire. SO24 9QF
T: 01962 732560 F: 01962 734027

E: tim@rmtrailers.co.uk WEB: http://www.rmtrailers.co.uk

I used old bathroom carpet over closed cell foam on the pads on the trailer for my wooden boat, it has lasted years and not damaged the paint I wouldnt get too hung up on what type of carpet to use so long as it is a type that wont rot. I imagine commercialy available bunks use whatever is cheapest lining material or cockpit carpet.

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Post by Bronteboxer »

Thanks for the info on the trailers and bunks chaps. Just for the record, I emailed 'Extreme Marine' with a couple of queries on their bunks via their 'Contact us' on the website from the link here on this thread prior to an order. They didn't bother to respond. So if they can't be bothered responding, then I won't be digging into my pocket.

Just to pick up on a couple of email responses on this topic.

1st) Why don't I just go out and buy a new trailer as its a the best way to do it - simple - as I said I have agonised over this matter and not taken the decision lightly to rebuild, but the answer is really simple. I don't have the funds, if I have to restore the boat, buy an engine, plus all the other stuff I will need to get on the water - and as the response said - getting onto the water is the fun bit and the priority! So hard work is the way it has to be, or no way........

2nd - Why not go along to meetings and have a chat with club members? - Only if I could! I went along to Beal Park last year and would have loved to have done more to date. Firstly, there have not been many since December when I got started and I am located at least a 200+ mile round trip from the nearest. So they really are too late in the year for me to be useful in this context. I had to be getting on with this - so sadly much as I would love to do that, I have to rely on this forum. I have to say its been great to date and really appreaciate all the help so far. Thanks again and hope to attend another event as soon as is practical. :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Bronteboxer wrote:
2nd - Why not go along to meetings and have a chat with club members? - Only if I could! I went along to Beal Park last year and would have loved to have done more to date. Firstly, there have not been many since December when I got started and I am located at least a 200+ mile round trip from the nearest. So they really are too late in the year for me to be useful in this context. I had to be getting on with this - so sadly much as I would love to do that, I have to rely on this forum. I have to say its been great to date and really appreaciate all the help so far. Thanks again and hope to attend another event as soon as is practical. :wot:
Where are you based??
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

I am based in West Yorks. I have asked twice on the forum for any Northern based members to get in touch but have had no response. :grrr:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Hmm, that is a problem. All CMBA events are organised by the members themselves, & we have a lack of Northern events as almost no Northern members will organise events these days sadly. There is a member in Hull who is keen & another who sorts out Loch Lomond but as far as I am aware there is nothing that far up. There is the River Soar event in the Midlands coming up soon but that's about I'm sorry to say. The committee, via the mag, keep asking folk in the North of England to organise some events but it doesn't seem to happen sadly.

The irony of it is that we have Northern members not rejoining the CMBA as the events calendar is 'southern based'! :grrr:

We do have, as I say, an active member from the Hull area & one in Sheffield that spring to mind. Unfortunately I can't help as I couldn't be a lot further away being based in Eastbourne, East Sussex!!

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Just wanted to make it clear that there was no criticism implied regarding the location of organised events, in case anybody was reading into my comments. They are done because, that's where the interest clearly is placed. I know from other club activities I have been involved with that a club is as good as the membership who give time to organise and support club activities. I have had loads of help already and I hope that once I can get this boat finished, I too will be out and enjoying the fun and games. Plus once I get the hang of this game, get involved with doing something 'up North'!!!

I hope Beal Park goes well this weekend. I really enjoyed last years event, despite the weather. :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Good man! No need to apologise, no offence taken at all.

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... r/library/

Progress! Summer report.....and questions.

With the good summer, in the time I have had available I have now completed the trailer and had a first fit with the engine I bought in June. At least I can now move the boat around and I am not tripping over bits of trailer in the garage. I have now posted some further shots of progress to date - use above link to access.

Also as previous report, I have removed all rusty screws and filled with West System as per instructions, wetting out all holes first. These have now been rubbed down to the ply surface and have come out reasonably well. The structure is sound without any movement when the boat is lifted or moved and twisted etc.

Question please to your experianced eyes - the chine/bow screws were 2 inch centres. I feel the need to supplement the repairs wih marine grade stainless in between. What would you go for - how many do you think I should put in? Every other, every 3rd, 4th etc etc - you will get my issue when you look at the shots?

The screw issue is my next major step/challenge to move things on. I have other jobs, but once I can get this cracked I can move the rest on.

Weather here today is lashing down rain, windy and 9 degs....been working inside and miserable............

Anybody going to the Cheshire boat jumble on Sunday? :wot:

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Well thats a first! No view on a rebuild 'snagette' to resolve..............!!

I am still wondering on next steps and so how many screws to order etc etc - with the problem as above, as no feedback as yet..............anybody with wooden boat experiance to take a view on this please!! :wild: