Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout - now finished Jan 2021

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout

Post by Rapier »

350MB is huge for a photo, typical sizes wil be 3.5MB - 4.5MB?

In old 'windows' tech, right click the mouse while over the individual image in it's folder. The menu below will pop up, click 'resize pictures' option, another menu will pop up, click the size you need and click resize - the new image will be renamed to (it's size), so you can tell the original apart.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_136 Feb. 01 09.52.jpg
ScreenHunter_137 Feb. 01 09.52.jpg
ScreenHunter_137 Feb. 01 09.52.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Re: Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout

Post by Bronteboxer »

Thanks for the response. Ah!... my typo it should have read 350kb - less than 1/2 Mb. The other two were 554kb & 1.1 Mb

Before I spend more time, what is the limit I’m trying to achieve please?

Bronteboxer

Re: Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout - now finished Jan 2021

Post by Bronteboxer »

At last I’ve managed to load a couple of shots of my finished boat! I may try to post more here when I can edit the shots. :woo:

It’s been a long time coming - over 8 years - but I’ve finally managed to get the boat finished and ready for the water! Just waiting for lockdown to be released and it’s off to the local staithe for a first attempt at a launch. As I have said before - what could possibly go wrong! :wot:

I’ll post some shots once we get it on the water.

[attachment=0]27CEF53B-8939-4961-A7AF-18E6647965E9.jpeg]
Attachments
D4DDA4F1-893B-4046-9589-7F9137DC5B98.jpeg
11236899-B9BD-40AF-94A0-9322605EBE68.jpeg

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

I posted a picture of my finished project on my car club website and got 40+ responses.
Over 8 years work to finish this boat and 9 months after the of posting the final result - nothing here. Not very encouraging to join in, for somebody new to Classic boat resto’s. :grrr:

I think this site seems to be dying a slow & painful death.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Even I missed this one...sometimes gets buried in the other posts! A lot of people prefer the facebook site & not a lot of traffic from CMBA members comes here, so don't despair. Is a really fabulous looking resto, such a pretty shape too. Any chance we'll see you on the water this year? I saw the events calendar is coming together in my magazine today and think everyone is hoping for some decent boating for a change.

Did you get the Merc running well? I am in the process of re-organising my storage, and hope the bits you need will finally surface..I got my '73 Mercury back home on the 23rd - it'd been at Burseldon O/B for at least 14 years. Unfortunately we lost a lot of parts and in the interim all the wiring has perished. Stupid really, it was a mint 2 owner one before I started fiddling.

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your kind comments. I've been checking the site regularly and it only seems to be the hardened few who post now, inc your 'finds'. The little runabout is very pretty and well balanced design and I am really pleased with the final result. Since the photos we have named it and added the graphics on the bows to finish it off. Sadly new plugs and lots of fiddling still didn't manage to start the engine, despite a spark & fuel - bearing in mind I have been restoring classic bikes and cars for over 50 years, so not inexperienced on things mechanical. It's very strange as it's always fired up with a bit of easystart and fresh fuel. We had it out on the local Broad on a friends boat a couple of years ago and it ran very well. It's lots of compression too, which is tiring when you are pulling a few times!

Building work here meant it had to be put to one side, so as it didn't fire we couldn't get it on the water when we had the time to do it. The starter kit you put me onto was sold sadly. I asked him if he had any other parts of the kit separately, he said he had but never got back to me. I think my only recourse now is to hand it to the guy locally who repairs these. He's old school and has worked on them many times, but his rates are quite costly for an engine that's not valuable and I already have a lot of dosh sunk into it. It's had a gearbox rebuild, replacement prop, new seals and pump. I had planned to spray it cream to age it, and match it better to the boat, but that's not on until I can prove it's viable.

I would love to attend an event, but time. location and a boat that works need to coincide!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

We still get a huge amount of traffic (witness the number of views your restoration has), but many just come to surf or find a link to a theme / boat they may be interested in. Glad you showed the finished boat though, a lot of people lose interest in their projects or sell them on after a restoration, without finishing the thread.

There are a few restored autotranny / slinky 20/25hp Mercs around from the 1958 to 1961 period (i.e cloud white) - if you are interested. They cannot be converted to electric start though, a strange waterpump site, have a LH rotation prop and unusual remotes, but they do look fabulous.

I will have the remnants (powerhead, etc) of the longshaft 20 of the same year as yours, once I can get mine up and running, so you can have those bits if you'd like.
Attachments
Picture 1736 (Large).jpg

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

I would have posted more shots, but it took me forever to fiddle those to get them to load!

Those older engines do look great and if I could get a gud’n all up, running with known provenance and remotes it may be of interest. The main thrust has to be to get the boat on the water now one way or the other. I have a good slip we have used with friends only 10 mins from here, getting us onto Barton Broad, it’s an expansive water, which is a great place to play boating.

Thank you for the offer of bits. Perhaps we can take a look at this when you are sorted.