machining rudder shaft

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

LOTUS30
CMBA Member: 0

machining rudder shaft

Post by LOTUS30 »

I have had to make a new rudder shaft John fildes has supplied a new rudder it wasn't quite up to his standard to sell, but i can tig it up to repair it will save me a few hours work. Just got to cut a thread on the top and rivet it up. the old one was made of steel and i am going to use it as an anchor (lol)
Attachments
milling rudder.jpg
turning rudder shaft.jpg

LOTUS30
CMBA Member: 0

Re: machining rudder shaft

Post by LOTUS30 »

I have posted this as you may be interested in the extra piece of stainless steel i am going to tig weld on the shaft to help support the alli rudder it will have a couple of rivets through the rudder and s/steel plate as well as the main shaft . Also the original rudder shaft finished at the quadrant and a bolt was trapped on top the shaft just to hold the bearing. I have made the shaft in one piece cutting a thread on the top to hold the shaft and bearing. i will drill the bearing housing and rudder shaft and push in a role pin for belt and brace fixing. Using the bearing retaining nut to hold it all in place. As far as loading is concerned i think the turning load puts more strain on the bearing than the weight of the rudder. The bottom bearing i have machined and pressed in a piece of graphite impregnated nylon. andy b
Attachments
new rudder shaft.jpg