Healey Sprite

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Healey Sprite

Post by Dakota »

Finally managed to bring my new project home to the Cape in Warwick where i believe it started it's life - the last owner did not have time to polish prior to me collecting. :giggle:
IMG_0556.jpg
I have started to strip the paint off and now believe it was originally mellow yellow in colour - but sadly has been painted red, blue, black, grey, white etc on top over the years. :grrr:
IMG_0562.jpg

I can just about see - V206 on each side of the hull - will this have any meaning ?

Did the boats have any unique markings to identify ?

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Re: Healey Sprite

Post by welshhealey »

Hi Dakota,
Nice to see that you have brought a Healey Sprite "Home", and espcially to almost the same spot in which it was built, shame the factory is no longer there :(

With regard to the Hull no's you have located, no one knows (as far as I'm aware ) of the system they used for numbering hulls . I have a personal letter in my file from Brian Healey dating back to 1998 when I asked him if he/they kept any info on the boats e.g. brochures hull no. records etc, and reading his reply I came to the conclusion that they never went into the marine business with any permanent commitment as it was a sideline to the cars that they were still involved with at the time, therefore when Mr Healey and family returned to Cornwall after wrapping up Healey Marine, records were not kept and left behind only to be destroyed when vandals set alight to the premises :grrr: ( a picture of the derelict factory is in one of the books they produced) however I was talking to a dedicated enthusiast some years ago and rumor has it that the late Geoffrey Healey (the technical engineer of the company) had some records, how much being boat related no one knows but his widow (who's name I wont reveal due to D.P.A. reasons) still has these so mentioned records, and when this enthusiast made enquiries about it, the lady concerned was not prepared to give away or even copy of this info unless large sums of money was involved ! :shock: how much of this is true fact remains to be seen. unfortunately I lost contact with this gentleman enthusiast some time ago :grrr: . anyway good luck with the restoration on a super little much respected boat. :perfect:

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

I think that was one of the many 'gay colours' they came in ...primrose maybe. you've hours of fun ahead...enjoy. What engine are you planning on running ? No hull numbering as far as I know on Sprites
Growing up is optional...

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Thanks both for the words of encouragement.

What different colours were the original boats painted - i knew of Primrose yellow, Black & White - were there more ?

After a little persuasion, I was hoping to fit an 80/85 shortie - preferable 1973 onwards but understand they are hard to find.

Any other recommendations ?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I think you could get them in the colours of the Healey cars of that period.

Still can't make up my mind about what colour to paint mine, I fancy a dark/navy blue but the deck is so full of ripples from the poor original moulding that I don't think it would look very good.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I've seen 2 in red, one was original gelcoat.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

29102012218.jpeg
I mentioned in an earlier post about not having a brochure/leaflet on the Healey 75, but I come across this copy of a Motor Boat and Yachting advert (aint got date of mag edition sorry) but most 55's and 75's had the blue /cream zig zag colour schemes but this one is plain cream, oddly enough so is my 75 :hmmm: Click the picture to enlarge and please note the interesting sales points eg mahogany decking ? er um :hmmm: the framework under the 6ml (ish) marine ply maybe.. ! oh and look at the Prices :o

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Dakota wrote:
After a little persuasion, I was hoping to fit an 80/85 shortie - preferable 1973 onwards but understand they are hard to find.

Any other recommendations ?
You need an '76 / '77 850XS..
Attachments
77page14 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

If you're going for 85hp I would for sure completely rebuild the transom and turn the whole boat into a proper monocoque the production bonding on 'Mimi' was not to my mind anything like 85hp proof and remember it's old fibreglass and 50 years old. 'Popette' owned by a club member new in the 60's ran with a 100hp Merc and was 'bl88dy quick' according to the owner... I can believe that, I briefly floored the throttle on 'Mimi' last Cardiff on smooth water and played with T&T getting the engine right out, the speedo was was just banging on 50mph but I had to shut back as the boat was chine hopping at that point, she's 6ft beam so it gets interesting at high speeds. The Americans fit a flat plank on the keel at the stern on the G3s with big engines and I can see why, it would just let the aft end of the boat rise and keep the sponsons clear of the water and stop the chine hopping. Also with that sort of power at high speed in tight corners I think it might bite, it will slide out but my worry would be from a flip as the outer sponson digs in...I'm talking real extremes here, it a brilliant classic boat, rides nice and softly and dry, it's stable and will potter up a river. With a big engine, you'll need a low pitch prop, apart from allowing the engine to run at more than tick over it should help the steering as a taller prop paddles the boat sideways and makes for a fair bit of steering correction. Hope that helps, it's a great boat :woo:
Growing up is optional...