Winner Wildcat

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bamberjim
CMBA Member: 0

Winner Wildcat

Post by bamberjim »

The Story so far…

This is my first boat so very much a learning experience! any advice or information is very much appreciated so feel free to input

Having won an auction on ebay for a beige Winner Wildcat, the then seller refusing to sell it to me as he wanted more money, my real search started for a boat, I really liked the lines of the Wildcat with the short nose and open cockpit (is it called that?), so it had to be the same Model. Shortly afterwards another came up for sale that I struck a deal on and bought it home.

Probably not everyone’s cup of Tea, the boat is a winner Wildcat fitted with Volvo Penta AQ171c (167HP) inboard engine.., the boat is a 1972 model according to the hull number and must have been re-engined at some point as the lump is 89-91 year, the interior is in fairly good condition as is the chrome.

When I went to view the boat I knew the cam belt had slipped, but the engine was not seized and turned freely..

This is the boat

I decided that I needed to fix the engine first then concentrate on tidying the rest of the boat up and hopefully get it in the water early 2013..

Having stripped the engine back and removing the head, I had 8 bent exhaust valves, so off it went the Head to Sutton re-bore services, they cross referenced the valves back to the car model, so instead of paying nearly £40 each per valve they were £9.00 each so that saved a few pennies,..

Few pictures of the engine..

Fired it up for the first time last week, (will be removing a few parts for painting), extremely happy as never done a head before..

The bottom of the Hull had been painted in Anti foul paint which I wanted to remove as I prefer the hull to be white, as it cam out of the factory.. So out came the Soda blaster, looks like about 5 coats to remove so the progress is slow & messy, the plan is once its removed I will repair any gel coat that needs it and then sand with 600 then 800 wet and & dry and use 3m imperial compound,

More updates as and when I have time to work on the boat

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Re: Winner Wildcat

Post by water_buoy »

Nice buy! Looks like that will keep you busy over the winter, look forward to seeing you on the water next year :thumbsup:
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

Very nice !
Bet you can't wait to see her in the water!
Also what is this soda blaster,as a mate of mine has just bought a boat and it's covered in antifouling!
Keep up the good work
Jon...

bamberjim

Post by bamberjim »

water_buoy wrote:Nice buy! Looks like that will keep you busy over the winter, look forward to seeing you on the water next year :thumbsup:
hopefully the aim will be for Chertsey as its only 10 minutes down the road

bamberjim

Post by bamberjim »

mad millie wrote:Very nice !
Bet you can't wait to see her in the water!
Also what is this soda blaster,as a mate of mine has just bought a boat and it's covered in antifouling!
Keep up the good work
Jon...

Hi Jon,

Soda blasting is the same as sand blasting but you use soda crystals, they explode on contact and remove paint etc without damaging what ever is underneath, apparently you can use it on glass, engine's etc etc.. i think the clean the statue of liberty with this..

if you search in google "soda blasting" there is loads of information on line