aluminium boat

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

tinus
CMBA Member: 0

aluminium boat

Post by tinus »

Hello,
is anybody able to tell me what kind of boat this is. It is made of aluminium, and after I bought one I stumbled on another one , so I bought that one too.
Martin Mulder
Amsterdam
Attachments
alum 018.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: aluminium boat

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome Martin - Great projects! It's a Magyar Ganz Nixy, they were made in Hungary in the late 1950s. There are two un-restored models in the CMBA, but there are quite a few around in the Netherlands, so I assume there must have been a local dealer there. With a 20/25hp Mercury (shown in the promotional model) they would be quite fast, around 60kph I'd guess - the hydrofoil was powered by a 3 cylinder Konig outboard, probably about 35hp, as I would imagine the 60hp being a bit too powerful.... :wot:
Attachments
418_junak_hajó_016 (Large).jpg
418_junak_hajó_015 (Large).jpg
383_275_nixy_3 (Large).jpg
383_275_nixy_2 (Large).jpg
383_275_nixy_1 (Large).jpg
383_274_nixy_4.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

tinus

Post by tinus »

Thank you very much! I am restoring the first one I bought, already bought a Yamaha 40hp for it. I hope it will not be too much power for the boat.
The second one is going to be sold again for I bought a Spiboot which is a fourseater and can be used for normal cruising around Amsterdam. The Nixy is just for fun and adrenaline kick.
Martin

tinus

Post by tinus »

so far so good. Boat is almost finished and I have made a testrun with a 40hp yamaha. It goes like a rocket and drives very well. Only still waiting for the new seats and she is ready for next summer. Soon I will be starting restoring my Spiboot , a swiss made aluminium boat which I hope to take with me on the next event of the EWBC ( sort of european cmba, but not as active as you are). Martin
Attachments
div 079.jpg