"Archie's Peace" - near to water again

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

"Archie's Peace" - near to water again

Post by Dakota »

It shows how time passes by so fast - Archie has not been used seriously since Falmouth 2008 when a mysterious oil leak appeared after a certain secretary of the club took her for a little cruise :wot:

Juggling a growing family, getting married and working long hours recently has led to a slow restoration but the end is near - i hope.

Starting with the hull, all paint was removed via a scraper as Nitomor's did not even soften the top coat, removing as many dents & creases as i could using a mallet. Endless tins of filler were used in an attempt to disguise the welded joints (front/back seats), then the paint. Lost count of how many coats but double figures using a roller, sanding blocks and rolls of buff paper galore after each coat - then a spray gun to finish it off.

Initial intention was to keep the deck original but it looked well tired after painting the hull - so off I went again. :grrr:

In the meantime, the trailer has benefitted from new suspension arms, upgrade to 10" wheels, replacement of wooden supports (original was totally rotten under the 10 coats of paint) plus a few coats of paint.

Coventry Climax engine was removed & completely stripped (head gasket was fitted on an angle with holes filed to slots to allow fitting), upgraded to 1500cc from 1220cc with head and water manifold ceramic coated to minimise corrosion.

This is only a small part of the story but my aim is completion for the Windemere rally in August - a new loom, alignment of the prop shaft and many more little jobs still to be finished.
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: "Archie's Peace" - near to water again

Post by Rapier »

Nice. Will we see it at Cardiff as well?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Dakota

Post by Dakota »

Tent ready - whisky sourced and tasted :woo: - now after a walking frame to assist me in getting back to my tent late at night :drink:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

You need to watch that hedge remember . . . :P
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Dakota

Post by Dakota »

I think I will pitch the tent a bit further away from the hedge this year!! whilst not allowing myself to be led astray by you and also take you off pouring the measures - your hands have started to shake to much :hilarious:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Dakota wrote:.. whilst not allowing myself to..
....fall amoungst thieves.

..as my father used to say.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

:hilarious: :hilarious:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!