Broom Viking Deck

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

GBL
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Viking Deck

Post by GBL »

Hi,

I have a Broom Viking in need of restoration. Quote from boatyards put it far outside of economical "professional" repair.

A couple of questions:

1. The deck lines were painted on. I have sanded past them trying to get past marks and staining. To re-instate them is there a tape that can be used?
2. The seats and floor panels are missing. I am looking for plans to remake them or another boat to copy them from. I am in shropshire...

Any help appreciated....

Regards,

GBL

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Broom Viking Deck

Post by Rapier »

Hi and welcome - decent Vikings (up to MK4) fetch very good money when properly sorted out, but I've seen many that have been sanded to within an inch of their life, so I would always go the professional route with such a boat. I have heard anecdotal evidence says the lines would have been a mix of polyfilla and plimsol whitener, but no idea where I got that from, so wouldn't try it. If the recesses have gone it won't work well. Is worthwhile posting some pics and then the Viking owners can comment, ..also re the seats.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

GBL
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Broom Viking Deck

Post by GBL »

Hi,

Attached are photos of the boat from years ago. Its been in storage for a number of years now.

The staining in many places has gone right through the top layer. I did ask reputable yards for a quote, and its around 5K in labour just for the deck. I saw a Viking sell for about 7.5k, so the sums dont add up for the boat. I have no way of telling if thats a good price...

I think that some part of the boat must have been sanded in the past. The wooden detailing on the deck has been removed and must be replaced, it was a mess.

I had pondered the possibility putting a new veneer on top of the existing ply. I have done veneer work before, but always with formers. This would be on a different scale.

I am going to retrieve the boat soon, so can give photos of detail.

Cheers,

GBL
Attachments
bt1.jpg
bt3.jpg