Albatross Alpine Continental Slipper Stern

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

happyguts
CMBA Member: 919

Re: Albatross Alpine Continental Slipper Stern

Post by happyguts »

not all fantastic though .......no leaks which cant be that bad but was a sod to start , eventually got going when we primed the carbs had a little blast , coasted in to check all was good started on the button another little blast and coasted in again but was a sod to start again , eventually started so went round the broads for another five mins and stopped in the middle so towed back ...on the trailer ....home .....very pleased but because it was so nearly there im a bit gutted BUT i dont think i should be
another little play by the crazy swede should iron this out , want it on the button next time out

the swede
and me and jazzie ( the princess (my baby ) )
id rather be a pretend somebody than a real nobody
`The River Rats Speedboat Club`
" you say shame on me ...I say shame on you "

themaryons
CMBA Member: 0

Post by themaryons »

Thanks for the pics bud ! It wasn't a bad first plop in the water...after all it's been nearly 40 years since she last had a run
We had the odd blue bit of sky over us too

Next time will be more fun ..... can't wait for Thursday evening on the broads watching the racing from an Albatross !
Anyone local want to join us ?

Right then, it's into the garage to charge the battery and wipe off the blood n tears from the engine bay

Darren
"The older i get the faster i was "

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

my alpine engine use to be difficult in starting hot,

There was few things i did to improved it , in no order

rotor arm change

ignition timing

sports coil

pump the accelerator three times was the best,

clean the starter motor bushes ,dynamo bushes and adjust the fan belt

take the thermostat out

happyguts

Post by happyguts »

Cheers howster ,
changed coil and bits and bobs but hopefully sussed that it's a lazy/knackered fuel Pump so it's off to the local auto shop tomorrow for a electric pump rather than my mechanical one , thank you mr Maryon for the company tonight sorry for the mouth full of fuel but at least it would of killed the swedes germs

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

themaryons wrote:Hello, spoke to Tatra Man last night .... all's well, not much to report on the Albatross resto as he's been busy with other things in life .....

He'll be back on here soon ! :perfect:

ttfn Darren
Yes, life's been a pain. My 91-year-old father broke his leg through a fall, possibly caused by a T.I.A. (mini-stroke), had a half hip replacement and has been in hospital ever since. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to sort out a care home placement as the anaesthetic made his dementia worse and he can now barely walk whereas before the fall he was walking without a stick. There's loads of other p.i.t.a. stuff but you don't want to hear about my problems.

Your fuel starvation will almost certainly be either a partially blocked fuel line or dirt in the valves in the bottom of the pump body. Those mechanical AC fuel pumps are very reliable - more so than an electric pump - especially in a damp environment - so I would recommend a thorough fuel system clean out - much cheaper and easier than an electric pump and you're going to have to clear out the tank and pipes anyway.

Howard, that engine was marinised by Albatross, not by Rootes and it has a pair of SUs on it, not the period Zeniths so there isn't a pump jet in the carbs although what you say does often work with the Zeniths.

Glad to see you're enjoying her already, Rich, and looking forward to seeing her fully restored - possibly the only Alpine with her original engine! :perfect:
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5saN2vA_k

Nice home made film 1960 Albi and i am sure the Glastron Jetflite has 2 engines

happyguts

Post by happyguts »

Cracking clip , benh's dad me thinks

Electric fuel pump fitted and pressed the button and " bulb bulb blub bluuuuuub "
Lovely !!!!!
Sorry ....needed to get it on the water as soon as possible with a jubilee regatta next weekend in beccles , but nothing has been drilled so it can all go back to mechanical when I eventually become a purist :hilarious: (cough cough splutter splutter)
:wot:

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

happyguts wrote:. . . . . . nothing has been drilled so it can all go back to mechanical when I eventually become a purist :hilarious: (cough cough splutter splutter)
:wot:
It comes to us all! My first Rapier was painted in dark blue, light blue and white flowing swathes with a silver hood! My mate's first Alpine had an oval window in the hard-top with a leopardskin headlining! - Now he's into Tiger restorations and I'm into rare Alpines.

Life? :hilarious:
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

happyguts

Post by happyguts »

Ohhhhhh leopard skin seat covers .......you devil you've got me thinking now

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Back on the water today, river weaver Winsford Cheshire , sorted out the cooling problem steady 6 miles hour and quick blast when now one is looking :wot:

another alpine engine live to tell another tale