AVENGER 21 restoration support

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Re: AVENGER 21 restoration support

Post by knarloid »

ha haaa :hilarious:

Here's to the Old Forge :drink: !

aen55
CMBA Member: 0

Post by aen55 »

puddleduck wrote:
Two boat I remeber at Hamble were Scavenger, a 21 with twin 1250 Mercs I think, and probably the most 'winninest' 21 to coin an american phrase was Easy Rider, with a tuned 6 cyl Volvo Penta sterndrive.

I hope the photos attached ok, good luck with the project!

Chairman Chris
Thanks for the information and photos... Both are very inspireing and Both look to be very nice and agressive machines...
Ive decided to build the boat ready for an inboard that way i can make up my mind at the last minute...

Will keep you all posted as i go along!

Cheers,
====================
cheers,
ae

mid 70's Avenger 21' (restoration project)
1999 Donzi 22' Classic (350 MAG) SOLD
2001 Wellcraft SCARAB 29 (Twin 350 MAG)
2008 Chris-Craft 28' Launch (twin 350 MAG MPI) SOLD

berkshireboatman
CMBA Member: 726

Post by berkshireboatman »

Hi Peter

Great to hear you have an Avenger 21.

I found one three years ago, and have just started restoring it.

It is basically in good condition, with the original seats, cushions and upholstery.

It has no engine, so I have bought a 5.7l Mercruiser with a standard Alpha leg.

The boat originally belonged to Tommy Sopwith, the English powerboat racer, as a tender to his yacht Philante VI. It was then bought by the Hon Edward Greenall as a tender for his racer GEE.

If you send an email to me at egb@goring.co.uk I will send you some pictures of it, and some brochures of the original company.

I was wondering what speed I would get, but 60mph sounds scary!

Keep in touch.

Emrhys Barrell

aen55

Post by aen55 »

2012... and we get stuck back into it... February Update...

Well, we've got back to the grind after about two months of X-mas festivities and subsequent recuperation... (including a my marriage, child's baptism, and house warming) ...

I decided to cut the rear bulk-head and bench to move them back about 250mm.
This should allow for a little more leg room for the rear passengers and still leave enough space for a small block V8 if necessary...

We've taken out the transom that had started to retain water over the 10 years that she had been laying under the avocado tree (uncared for!)...
Three new layers of marine ply have been put into place (12mm +18mm + 18mm).

Still on the fence about the I/O or Outboard on a bracket + swim platform... decisions, decisions...

here are the last pics...
Cheers,
Attachments
Feb.2012 TRANSOM 2.png
Feb.2012 TRANSOM.png
====================
cheers,
ae

aen55

Post by aen55 »

hi,

First layer of Transom glass, has been layed...
Attachments
Feb.2012 Transom glass 1.png
====================
cheers,
ae

Bobkat

Post by Bobkat »

It is really great to read these comments as I am a massive Avenger fan having owned and raced one for many years in South Africa before coming to the UK in 2004, this particular boat was one of only two ever imported to South Africa in the early 70's and I remembered it being first launched at a race in Cape Town when I was just 11 years old, so always wanted one and this actual boat was raced by Tony Needell (Tiffs dad) and brought over when he went to race in the South African Offshore in 1971. Even although I am a catamaran racing man with over 33 years experience in offshore and circuit racing, the Avenger is still my favourite boat, as no other monohull can turn on its side like an Avenger. I have owned and raced Phantoms (and many other mono's), which I have utmost respect for as they are so forgiving in the rough but cannot turn anywhere like the Avenger. This year I have been restoring and Avenger 21, that I came across a couple of years ago and have just bought a brand new trailer for it, and resprayed the boat black with orange deck centre area. Boat was 100% original with even the steering and seating deck fittings and railing with inboard 6 cylinder 165HP and Mercruiser pre Alpha One drive . I intend putting a V8 into it and already have the Bravo One drive to install with chrome tail pipes to get the sound right. The boat was in excellent condition structurally and needed no work whatsoever except lots of flatting and a spray job. the transom is excellent and that includes the fittings and cockpit cover. I have had the stainless bow tank taken out and flushed with new fuel gauge sender unit fitted so all ready to go back in now. I had a Mercury 2.5 EFI Offshore installed on my South African Avenger and altered the deck to two seat tandem setup and it did a top speed of 86mph so very fast indeed but you had to be very careful in following seas as we nose dived twice putting us in the sea. The other Avenger that was imported to SA was the very famous Black Panther which had the two BP Mercs on the back when it arrived but unfortunately this boat nose dived and sank in an Offshore race in the 90's, also with a single Merc 2.5 efi on the back. I will take some pics and post them later. Still no monohull of this size that can ever come close to the Avenger. Not sure if I should race my boat in the Marathan class, but maybe as where else can you out turn anything else on the water.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome, not sure where you're based, but some of us run rough water boats down on the south coast - mostly ex ski racers and capable sports boats. I missed out on the racing boat scene in CT; was into Clubmans racing at Killarney, but had a mate who used drive boats, think were ski racers.. in the 80s from Oceana PBC.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Bobkat

Post by Bobkat »

Dear RAPIER

I am an ex OPBC member and obviously you own a Rapier runabout and I now live outside Southampton in UK and great to hear about the connection you had with OPBC and are you still involved there

Grant

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi Grant, PM sent...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

aen55

Post by aen55 »

Avenger project has started up again. Can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Trying to up load files but cannot... will try again later... sorry
Attachments
resto 2015-1.JPG
====================
cheers,
ae